Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 8720
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Hello,

I am trying to setup the "Scan to Computer" feature on my HP 8720 printer/scanner on a new computer that is running macOS Big Sur (11.4). I had used this successfully on older Macs using the "Easy Scan" software, which ran in the background as a menubar item.

However, at this time, every single driver and software download on HP.com points to the new "HP Smart" software, which does NOT provide this "Easy Scan" feature—i.e., it is no longer possible to scan from the printer/scanner and have the scanned file stored on a computer.  Note that the other way round (initiating the scan from the computer) is possible with HP Smart (though the UI is very clunky).

The question: Is the Full Feature Driver software still available for macOS Big Sur, and if yes, where is this elusive download link?

P.S.: I have already tried the standard process for entering the product model and accessing the software download page. This page does NOT have the Full Feature Driver Software (only the HP Smart).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK. So "HP Easy Start" does provide a way to download the full drivers—but it is a hidden / non-obvious mechanism. Basically, follow these steps:

1.  When HP Easy Start prompts to "install the latest HP Smart software", do NOT click the "Get Software" button.
  2. Instead, try to close the window by clicking the red close button on the top-left of the window
  3. This will open a dialog, in which the second option is "Skip to Software Download". Select this option instead
  4. This will open a new window with the options to download the full drivers and the Easy Scan software

See the screenshots below for details. HP is obviously trying to push the dumbed down "HP Smart" software, and has effectively hidden the full software options behind user unfriendly UI options, instead of providing an explicit link or button in the main window to the full software option.

Try to close the window to get the options dialogTry to close the window to get the options dialog…and then select the full drivers and Easy Scan software installation…and then select the full drivers and Easy Scan software installation

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @evolve75,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are looking to download the full-featured drivers for your printer.

You may download the drivers from the HP Software and Drivers page.

You will find the driver under the Software -Utility tab( install HP Easy start for full-featured drivers)

Here is a link -https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-8720-all-in-one-printer-series/79...

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hello @Jay_G24,

Thanks—but as I mentioned in the original message, the link for supported drivers just lists "HP Smart" and the "Apple AirPrint" drivers. The "Full Printer Drivers" (which had the Easy Scan application as well) is NOT available anymore on the printer support page.

HP Recommended

The drivers are available, please check the below image.

Hope this helps, keep me posted

HP Recommended

Jay_G24,

Unfortunately, the link you mentioned to "HP Easy Start" driver s/w also ultimately downloads and installs the HP Smart software—not the original full set of drivers that included HP Easy Scan. See screen shot below of the application's install screen:

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 11.20.03 AM.png

HP Recommended

OK. So "HP Easy Start" does provide a way to download the full drivers—but it is a hidden / non-obvious mechanism. Basically, follow these steps:

1.  When HP Easy Start prompts to "install the latest HP Smart software", do NOT click the "Get Software" button.
  2. Instead, try to close the window by clicking the red close button on the top-left of the window
  3. This will open a dialog, in which the second option is "Skip to Software Download". Select this option instead
  4. This will open a new window with the options to download the full drivers and the Easy Scan software

See the screenshots below for details. HP is obviously trying to push the dumbed down "HP Smart" software, and has effectively hidden the full software options behind user unfriendly UI options, instead of providing an explicit link or button in the main window to the full software option.

Try to close the window to get the options dialogTry to close the window to get the options dialog…and then select the full drivers and Easy Scan software installation…and then select the full drivers and Easy Scan software installation

HP Recommended

I am glad you were able to figure this out.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Let me know!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.