Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer

officejet pro 8720 scan function keeps saying "scanner in use" and no one is using it

we have shut the HP Smart app off and restarted. the same for the PC - several times - we have also removed the printer, scan combo off the network.

still get the same answer from either of the 3 computers linked into the printer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @mike-va,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 is experiencing a persistent issue with the scanner indicating it's in use even when it's not. Let's try some troubleshooting steps to resolve this.

• Restart the Printer: Turn off the printer, wait for a few minutes, and then turn it back on. Sometimes, a simple restart can fix temporary glitches.
  • Restart the Computer: If you haven't already, try restarting the computer connected to the printer. Sometimes, the issue might be on the computer's end.
  • Check for Firmware Updates: Make sure your printer has the latest firmware updates installed. Sometimes, updating the firmware can resolve compatibility issues and bugs.
  • Check for Driver Updates: Ensure that the drivers for your printer are up to date on all the computers connected to it. You can usually find the latest drivers on the HP website.
  • Check for Background Processes: Even if you're not actively using the scanner, there might be background processes or applications that are trying to access it. Check Task Manager (on Windows) or Activity Monitor (on Mac) for any processes related to scanning and terminate them if necessary.
  • Reset the Printer: If the issue persists, try resetting the printer to its factory defaults. This will clear any settings that might be causing the problem. You can usually find the option to reset the printer in the settings menu.

Try these steps one by one and see if any of them resolve the issue.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @mike-va,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 is experiencing a persistent issue with the scanner indicating it's in use even when it's not. Let's try some troubleshooting steps to resolve this.

• Restart the Printer: Turn off the printer, wait for a few minutes, and then turn it back on. Sometimes, a simple restart can fix temporary glitches.
  • Restart the Computer: If you haven't already, try restarting the computer connected to the printer. Sometimes, the issue might be on the computer's end.
  • Check for Firmware Updates: Make sure your printer has the latest firmware updates installed. Sometimes, updating the firmware can resolve compatibility issues and bugs.
  • Check for Driver Updates: Ensure that the drivers for your printer are up to date on all the computers connected to it. You can usually find the latest drivers on the HP website.
  • Check for Background Processes: Even if you're not actively using the scanner, there might be background processes or applications that are trying to access it. Check Task Manager (on Windows) or Activity Monitor (on Mac) for any processes related to scanning and terminate them if necessary.
  • Reset the Printer: If the issue persists, try resetting the printer to its factory defaults. This will clear any settings that might be causing the problem. You can usually find the option to reset the printer in the settings menu.

Try these steps one by one and see if any of them resolve the issue.

I hope this helps.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I tried the list of options you suggested including the reset - thanks for the ideas.  The system now comes back once I turn it on

That it cannot operate unless I connect to HP Instant Ink - I've been using Instant Ink for over 5 years and all the cartridges are marked Instant Ink.  The system locks up there. I cannot get to reset or any other function.  The system is connected to the internet and I did not change that in any way.  Any other option?

thanks

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi @mike-va,

Thank you for your response, 

Since you've already tried some troubleshooting steps, it might be beneficial to try a few more advanced solutions.

• Update Firmware: Ensure that your printer's firmware is up to date. Sometimes, outdated firmware can cause compatibility issues with certain features or services.
  • Re-Enroll in HP Instant Ink: It's possible that there's a glitch in the communication between your printer and the HP Instant Ink service. Try re-enrolling your printer in the HP Instant Ink program. You can usually do this through the printer's control panel or by logging into your HP Instant Ink account online.

I hope this helps.

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I think the 8720 is toast at this point.  Time for a new hp printer.

Thanks for the help

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi @mike-va,

Thank you for your response, 

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.