Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 8620/8625
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I actually have the OfficeJet Pro 8625 (Costco's dersion of the OfficeJet 8620).  This printer replaced my OfficeJet Pro 8500.  Both have been connected to my wireless network.

I had setup several "Scan to Network Folder" destinations when I got this printer last year and they have been working just fine until recently.  Just a couple days ago I tried scanning to them and non of them are working.  On the printer I get the error "Cannot connect to \\[COMPUTER NAME]\[Shared Folder Name].  Make sure the remote computer is turned on."  Through the Embedded Web Server when I try to test the connection to the network folder I get the error "A problem occurred during the test. Click "Edit" to check your settings, and then try again. For more information, visit www.hp.com/support."  I have not changed anything on the computers, printer, or network.

I reconfirmed all my settings for the shared folders on both computers (one Windows 7 and the other Windows 10) and the settings on the printer.  All the settings are correct.  I tried rebooting the computers, printer, and router.  I unplugged the power cable on the printer while it was on to force a hard reset.  Nothing has worked.

To eliminate the problem being a Windows or network issue, I plugged in my old OfficeJet Pro 8500 (which still had the network configuration and all my scan to network folder settings saved) and it worked flawlessly.  I was able to scan to my network folders.  So I know the issue is not Windows or network related, that leaves the printer.

I see on 4/22/2016 a new firmware was released, version FDP1CN1547AR (according to the printer), R1457A (according to the HP Software and Drivers Support Website).  Since my printer is setup to automatically update, I am on this new firmware.  My only conclusion is this new firmware has broken the scan to network folder feature.  I would like to downgrade the firmware to the previous version to see if that fixes the problem but I do not see it on HP's site.

Not being able to scan to a network folder is a huge issue for me.  Anyone else having this issue?

HP please help!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @Jeremy805m,

I understand you are experiencing some issues with the scan to network folder feature on your HP Officejet Pro 8625. I will be happy to help.

To answer your question, no, you cannot go back to an older version of the firmware on your printer.  However, I did find some troubleshooting solutions in the User Manual. Please try out these steps and get back to me with the results.

Unable to scan to network folder
NOTE: HP Digital Filing does not support Active Directory.
The computer where the network folder is located is turned off
Make sure the computer where the network folder is stored is turned on and connected to the network.
The network folder has not been set up correctly
◦ Make sure the folder is created on the server. For more information, see the documentation available for your operating system.
◦ Make sure the folder has been shared and that users can both read and write to the folder.
If you are using a Mac computer, make sure you have enabled SMB sharing. For more information, see the documentation available for your operating system.
◦ Make sure the folder name uses only the letters or characters supported by the operating system. For more information, see the documentation  available with the operating system.
◦ Make sure the folder name is entered in the correct format in the HP software. For more information, see the information in the wizard or the setup assistant.
◦ Make sure the valid username and password have been entered. For more information, see the information in the wizard or the setup assistant.
The disk is full
Make sure the server containing the network folder has sufficient free disk space.
The printer cannot create a unique filename using the assigned prefix and suffix or the filename prefix has not been set up correctly
◦ The printer can create up to 9,999 files using the same prefix and suffix. If you have scanned many files to a folder, change the prefix.
◦ Make sure the filename prefix uses only the letters or characters supported by the operating system. For more information, see the documentation available with the operating system.

If this helps show appreciation for my reply by hitting the “thumbs up” below, or click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

I hope this helps, and have a great day.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

HP Recommended

I had already addressed all these issues prior to posting my original post.  The problem is not with the computers.  It is the firmware on the printer.

HP Recommended

Hi @Jeremy805,

If you have already tried all of the steps in my previous post then you will have to contact HP for further assistance.

Contact HP:
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear 

Have a great day.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

HP Recommended

I am still trying to work with HP on this but here is a work around I found.  Change the DNS to Google's.

Primary 8.8.8.8

Secodary 8.8.4.4

This has worked for me flawlessly.  I am scanning using the computer name with no issues.  

I am still trying to work with HP on this to get it resolved as it appears to be something in their firmware across what looks like maybe several printers.

HP Recommended

After doing more of my own troubleshooting, I think I may have a real solution.   I found on my printer in the Ehanced Web Server (EWS) under Network->Advanced Settings->Advanced DHCP Settings that the "Enable DHCPv4 FQDN (in compliance with RFC 4702)" was unchecked and DHCPv6 was checked.  This apparently is the default, because when I was troubleshooting with HP they had me do a reset on the printer which reset it to the default settings.  Why they would have the defaults this way, I have no idea.  I uchecked the DHCPv6 and checked the DHCPv4 FQDN.  I then went back to the wirless settings and removed my Manual DNS entries.  My printer is now working great when scanning to network folders.

I am not that big of a network guy, just know enough to sometimes get into trouble.  I would assume though that if you are not fully using IPv6 on your network (which probably most are not), then you probably don't want the IPv6 or DHCPv6 enabled on your printer.  Hope this helps people.

Now I really hope HP takes this information and does something with it.

HP Recommended

Bummer.... running into the same problems testing a network folder for scan and the above v4 suggestion did not work.

It's interesting that the error is "Unable to connect to the printer. Check your configurations and try again." when in fact I am connected to the printer. 😛

HP Recommended

I spent hours searching online and troubleshooting, and what finally worked for me was to "turn on network discovery" as mentioned at 1 minute and 55 seconds into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecoliBpLcDI

-Joe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.