Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 17 (29,509 Views)
Accepted Solution

Internet is working but browsers will not load.

About a week ago my web browsers stopped working.  I'm running Vista and I use FireFox.  I also have Internet Explorer but neither of them will load any web page when i go to them.  I know my connection is working because I can use any other program that requires internet.  I've been told that I have a virus.  I've ran Malwarebytes, RKill, Avast!, CCleaner, Advanced System Care, and I've tried a system restore but nothing has helped.  Anyone have any idea whats wrong or how I can fix this?

Provost
Message 2 of 17 (29,499 Views)

Re: Internet is working but browsers will not load.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

From the start menu.....All Program......Accessories, right click on the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  Enter the command listed below seperately and hit return after each one.

ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh int reset resetlog.txt

netsh int ip reset

netsh winsock reset

Now type exit and hit return.  Reboot your computer and see if this has worked.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Message 3 of 17 (29,478 Views)

Thank you so much.  It helped my problem right away though the commands nbstat -R and nbstat -RR were not recognized but all the others worked.

Provost
Message 4 of 17 (29,472 Views)

You're very welcome.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Tutor
Message 5 of 17 (29,400 Views)

This solution did not work for me. I've had this laptop for 2 months, it's been returned for service & a network card replaced. I only have access to dial-up. The internet works but browser will not load pages.

Diagnosis indicates ' there might be a problem with one or more network adapters on this computer . Plug a cable into the network adapter "Local Area Connection"

I've reloaded Windows 7, twice and Windows Vista Ultimate. I can access the internet and pages load UNTIL I begin loading software. This computer was supposed to help me get my work done. It certainly is not helping me.

Is there a solution somewhere?

I've run Malwarebytes, Spyware Doctor, Eset Security - no threats, trojans or viruses have been found. I can't keep using my husband's computer. I'm having trouble getting an email address for HP support. This is a refurbished system--that should not matter. Please tell me this is not going to be a $1000 paperweight.

Student
Message 6 of 17 (29,347 Views)

I have a pavillion dv2945se, running on vista, and I have recently experienced the same problems.  I am connected to the network, but am unable to browse online.  I have played with my firewall settings to no success, and the command prompts have not fixed the problem.  This is very frustrating, Any ideas?

Student
Message 7 of 17 (28,529 Views)

I followed the instructions and Internet Explorer now works. Thank you. Why couldn't Microsoft have made a patch file to do this job? Or, why should you have this problem in the first place? No other businesses do get away with this level of quality.

Student
Message 8 of 17 (28,092 Views)

OMG this worked for me after two days of hell trying to get it to work... Thank you....
Student
Message 9 of 17 (27,557 Views)

This works!!  I have no idea why the problem occurred in the first place, but this reset worked.  Thank you HP Technician, whoever you are.

dbear

Provost
Message 10 of 17 (27,541 Views)

Hi dbear,

You're welcome and glad it helped :smileyhappy:

All the best,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation