Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Our laptop, HP Pavilion dv9428nr Notebook PC, has stopped connecting wirelessly to the Intranet. 

We can see what the problem is.  The button in the front under the word "Wireless" that slides back and forth to turn it on (orange = off and blue = on) stays orange no matter which way the button is set.  The on-line troubleshooting has not helped and there doesn't seem to be a fix in the manual (that we can see). 

We looked at the Troubleshooting Guide (pg 3-6 and 3-7) and the printed instructions there got us nowhere and we went to the website listed and that didn't do anything either.  Basically it just tells you to reboot and reconnect wires and make sure the laptop is on. 

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended
I had the same problem with my Hp Pavilion Dv6833us notebook.  All I had to do was download hp wireless assistant.  Just download it on another computer and use and external hard drive to transfer it to your notebook.  Or burn the install to a cd and put the cd in the notebook.  This should work.
HP Recommended

Hey I HOPE this works for you!  I researched this too!  The info. was about the keyboard not working, but it worked! Same problem amber light, and no  response when touched! Neither the volume or those upper keys responed.  SO NE WAY; the answer is turn it off, remove battery for a couple secs., and replace.  Then after load up gently touch the amber key to turn it on.  It worked for us after trying help docs. and other stuff.

HP Recommended

I was working on my friend's HP Pavilion dv5-1004nr laptop because his wireless button had the same issue; it was always orange (off) and it could not be pressed to enable it.  I tried installing the HP Wireless Assistant, but that just told me what I already knew.  It just gave me the message that wireless was disabled and that I needed to press the button.  However, I updated the BIOS on the laptop using HP's latest BIOS flash utility, updating the BIOS to version F.37, and after restarting the workstation it fixed the issue!  I was able to press the wireless button and successfully use the wirless.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try Re-installing the factory drivers for Wireless Adapters from the Recovery Manager ... go to Reinstall Hardware Drivers.. Or Else Reinstall The QuickLauch Drivers...

Best Of Luck...

Geek At wOrK
HP Recommended

i have a ProBook 4520s and i have pretty much the same problem, just that my button stays on(blue) and it's been like this for a few weeks now. I tried turning off wireless; it says it's disabled, but the button doesn't change its status. And it wouldn't be a problem if my wireless connection would actually work. I'm now trying to install hp wireless assistant. I hope it's going to help, somehow.

HP Recommended

i've downloaded and installed hp wireless assistant and now both the button and the wireless connection work.

HP Recommended

Just had the same problem with my Model DV2000 (DV2037us) Series laptop; wireless button stayed amber and computer would not recognize any wireless networks. The network card was recognized in the device manager, drivers were updated and everything seemed to be functioning fine. Only issue could have been I haven't used my laptop for some time, it wasn't on a charger and the battery was very dead (time and date had to be reset when I booted up).

The answer for me turned up in the HP Wireless Assistance. 

1) Open HP Wireless Assistant and select the "Properties" setting. This opens a "Settings" dialog box.

2) Select the "Independent Controls..." button, then "Apply"

3) This adds an "Action" field in HP Wireless Assistant for the wireless network card.

4) Select "Turn On" in the Action field.

That's it! Amber light turned blue and everything is back to normal. I attached images for reference. 

What surprises me is that after reviewing 10+ blogs and HP's support, I did not see any mention of this approach.  I hope it helps others; I was getting frustrated and ready to replace the network card.

HP Laptop Wireless Assist1

HP Laptop Wireless Assist2

HPDV2000Step3.jpg

HP Recommended

Hey

this seemed to work for me too

Thanks

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your help! everything work after following such simple directions....got the ol' blue light back!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.