Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880-160se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an Hp Envy Phoenix 800-030qe with an i7-4770 and  liquid cooling and I just bought an Omen 880-160se with i7-8700 fan cooled, is it possible to fit the phoenix liquid cooling to the omen and viceversa?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings rflotte,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

I really don't recommend doing this but it's your choice.

There are many unknowns when doing this type of modification. HP sometimes modifies motherboard and component specifications which may diverge from industry standards.

I can give you some guidance but you will have to take some exacting measurements to verify if the heatsink/fan from the Omen (socket 1151) will fit on the older  socket 1150 motherboard (MB). Most aftermarket CPU Intel cooling solutions work on socket 1150, 1151, and socket 2011. But this is because the CPU socket backplate is adjustable. Socket 2011 MBs include a backplate.

You know this will mess up your Omen warranty unless you reinstall the factory cooling. This would happen if you have to send your Omen in to an HP service center for warranty repairs.

You have to carefully measure each socket to verify the mounting holes on the motherboard match exactly.

Next you must determine if the socket 1151 heatsink is mounted with retaining clips or if a backplate is even being used.

Even if things look promising you could still run into installations issues on either motherboard.

You may have to completely disassemble both systems to swap the components.

Where is the CPU fan connector on the AIO unit? The connector is usually on the pump. This connects to the CPU fan header and fools the MB into thinking there is a CPU fan connected to the system. Some AIO systems need a dedicated pump header on the MB. The rad fan then connects to the CPU fan header on the MB. You would have to examine both MBs to see what you have and what you need.

It's possible to swap the components but will require much patience, luck, and time to complete the task.

I would have to really think about this very carefully before attempting this endeavor.

Best wishes.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings rflotte,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

I really don't recommend doing this but it's your choice.

There are many unknowns when doing this type of modification. HP sometimes modifies motherboard and component specifications which may diverge from industry standards.

I can give you some guidance but you will have to take some exacting measurements to verify if the heatsink/fan from the Omen (socket 1151) will fit on the older  socket 1150 motherboard (MB). Most aftermarket CPU Intel cooling solutions work on socket 1150, 1151, and socket 2011. But this is because the CPU socket backplate is adjustable. Socket 2011 MBs include a backplate.

You know this will mess up your Omen warranty unless you reinstall the factory cooling. This would happen if you have to send your Omen in to an HP service center for warranty repairs.

You have to carefully measure each socket to verify the mounting holes on the motherboard match exactly.

Next you must determine if the socket 1151 heatsink is mounted with retaining clips or if a backplate is even being used.

Even if things look promising you could still run into installations issues on either motherboard.

You may have to completely disassemble both systems to swap the components.

Where is the CPU fan connector on the AIO unit? The connector is usually on the pump. This connects to the CPU fan header and fools the MB into thinking there is a CPU fan connected to the system. Some AIO systems need a dedicated pump header on the MB. The rad fan then connects to the CPU fan header on the MB. You would have to examine both MBs to see what you have and what you need.

It's possible to swap the components but will require much patience, luck, and time to complete the task.

I would have to really think about this very carefully before attempting this endeavor.

Best wishes.

Regards

HP Recommended

well thanks, seems a lot of trouble, I thought it would be more like a plug n play, maybe that's only with the original omen liquid cooling.

Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

Hi rflotte,

You're very welcome.

Did your new Omen have a liquid cooling option at purchase?

You could check HP PartSurfer for a compatible AIO liquid cooling alternative if it exists.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi rflotte,

I was assisting someone else and found out what OEM HP sometimes uses to supply AIO liquid cooling systems.

The OEM is Asetek.

Asetek has a 92 mm AIO system that may work in your new Omen.

You can check it out at this link.

You would have to check pump and radiator/fan measurements and find out what Asetek includes in the package.

You need the backplate and hardware to install the pump and radiator/fan assembly. Asetek should provide the fan cable and a power cable if needed. Some pumps run off the CPU fan header. Other pumps need a supplemental SATA or molex connection to the power supply.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.