Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Did anyone figure out how to get the gtx 750ti evga to run with a 2011 hp motherboard?
HP Recommended

In the interest of perhaps saving someone else some money (and a few headaches), I wanted to chime in on this situation.

I've got an older HP Pavilion (h8 1237-c) that's been running a GeForce GTX 460, but the thing is really loud and I figured it was time to upgrade.

After unsuccessfully starting out with an EVGA GTX 750, and running into similar problems as I've since read others have had with this combination, I decided to order an MSI GTX 750 ti.  I read several threads in this forum that other users with these older Pavilions, running the last BIOS that HP had released (7.12, dated 10/12/2011), were able to use this card due to it's "legacy BIOS" switch (and thus bypass the problems with UEFI compatibility).

Unfortunately, regardless of which postion the switch is set to on the MSI, I have the same problem - PC gets to the blue "HP" screen, and doesn't boot any further.

I posted about it in the MSI forum, and was told "The problem is not GOP or legacy bios but the need for a ME8 firmware including bios to run a GTX7xx on a socket 1155 based system. If HP can't supply such you will never be able to run a GeForce GTX7xx or later in your system".

So don't do what I did, and just assume this particular MSI card will solve your problem - do a little bit of research first, and save yourself the restocking fees I'm now facing!

It's frustrating that HP makes it so difficult to upgrade these PCs by not releasing BIOS updates...

HP Recommended
I also bought the Msi gtx 750ti oc and I turned the switch to bios and booted it up and it works beautifully. My hp is a pavilion p7 1026b model. From 2011 I think. I haven't had any issues what-so-ever with the card. My index went from a 4.7 to a 7.7 which is close to perfect if I remember correctly. I can run any new game on high settings and get approx 60 fps. The msi card should work with no problems at all on any pc.
HP Recommended

KPH_71,

I believe that others have experienced similar issues with non-MSI 750 graphics cards in HP PCs with the Chicago motherboard.  However, there have been posts claiming success using the MSI GTX 750 with the switch and the Chicago motherboard.  Your advice is good pertaining to research but nonetheless there is no guarantee that any particular graphics card will work with every motherboard.   You are the first one out of many that have tried the MSI NVIDIA GTX 750 with the switch that has failed.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks Dave.  That's what I've been confused about as well.  The MSI moderator has said that a socket 1155 based system, without a BIOS upgrade, can't run a GeForce GTX7xx card - regards of the BIOS switch on that particular MSI card.

I guess there's a chance the card I got is bad, and the switch isn't working as intended - but at this point, I'm not willing to possibly pay more restocking fees/shipping to try another one - so if I'm the only one that didn't get this combo to run, then I'll take the bad luck and move on - but I figured I'd warn others just in case there is something else going on here with this particular HP PC/GeForce GTX7xx combination.

HP Recommended

KPH_71,

Try one the Sapphire R9 models that also have a switch.  Know what the return policy is before you buy.

Sapphire dual BIOS.jpg

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I'm afraid to admit that I am suffering the same symptoms. I bought the MSI Geforce GTX ti for my HP Pavilion p7 1205 and I'm running into the same problems like the being stuck at the HP boot screen even with legacy mode switched on. I even switched out the 300W for a 500W PSU. I can't verify if it's just a defective model, but I guess it's better to assume that it's because of the lack of BIOS updates or just the Caramel2 motherboard. I don't really have a vast knowlege on GPU compatibility and  I am basically on the verge of giving up and just returning the GPU for something that's actually compatible with my desktop.  

HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm having the same issue as well with my Pavillon p7-1000fr and a GIGABYTE 750GTi.

Would installing a UEFI BIOS solve that problem or do I need to change the motherboard?

Thank you,

Dune.

HP Recommended

@Dunedune

Check with Gigabyte and see if their particular model 750TI has a hybrid video BIOS.

MSI makes a GTX 750 with a switch to go between UEFI and legacy mode.

ZOTAC makes a GTX 750 that is compatible back to PCI-E 1.1

The reality is that there is no guarantee that any particular graphics card will work in any particular PC even if the graphics card works in other PCs or even the same or similar model PCs. Know what the return policy is before you buy.

HP Recommended

I just got a new MSI GTX 750 Ti but it has no switch. It has an outline and solder pads but no switch. I need to contact MSI and ask why...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.