Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 25xi
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Periodically, during normal use, the monitor screen turns totally dark, but the power light stays on.  Stays dark for perhaps 2-3 seconds, then returns full screen.   Happens about every 10 -15 minutes. No messages on screen while dark, no relevant messages when working ok.  No recent software changes.   Behavior began a few weeks ago, getting more frequent. 

Can’t tell if the monitor itself is failing or perhaps the video card?

Product No: C3Z97AA.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 [Display adapter].

The connector is DVI. 

All purchased in December 2013.

Connected to HP EVVY 700-230qe Desktop.

GeForce GT 640 driver updated as of 12/29/2016; Device Manager says this is latest driver. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As I was continuing to troubleshoot this problem, I tried switching out the DVI cable for an HDMI connection.  This seemed to solve the blinking problem.  I was not expecting this result because the same DVI cable had worked fine with the old w2207 I had experimenting with as I commented earlier.   Possibly the problem was with the DVI port on the 25xi monitor. 

In the meantime, another problem developed with the monitor: the front panel control lights became inoperative.   To turn it off, had to unplug from the back, and could no longer make adjustments to the screen.  

I want to give a shout-out to HP.  Danny-r had passed my issue over to an HP service support case manager, Joshua H.  He arranged for me to receive a savings coupon, even though the unit was well out of warranty (four years old).  I used that coupon to offset some of the cost to buy a new monitor which has been delivered.  The new one is a model 27er.  

So, thanks to HP, you guys were great! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

As an experiment, I connected an old (2007) 22" monitor (HP w2207) in place of the 25" HP ISP 25xi.  I used the same DVI cable and made no other changes.  So far, in two days the w2207 has not shown this problem of the screen going dark discussed in my original post.  This is leading me to suspect the 25xi of course, but I am also conscious that the w2207 has a lower resolution than the 25xi.  

25xi is 1920x1080.

w2207 is 1680x1050.  

Could it be that the video card is simply having trouble managing the higher resolution of the 25xi?  I plan to try the 25xi at a lower resolution to see if that corrects its problem.  

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 [Display adapter].

The connector is DVI. 

Connected to HP EVVY 700-230qe Desktop.

GeForce GT 640 driver updated as of 12/29/2016; Device Manager says this is latest driver. 

HP Recommended

I did the experiment with the old w2207 monitor (same DVI cable) and it did not show the random blink to black in five days of normal use.   Went back to the 25xi and the problem continued as before.  I tried reducing the resolution of the 25xi from its native 1920x1080 to the 1680x1050 of the w2207 and it did not help.   

I opened the tower and removed some of the dust from fans, etc. GPU-Z reports normal temperature of the graphics card at 47 degrees C.   I have fiddled with various setting in the OSD of the 25xi, like 'auto switch source' to off, etc. but none of that helps. 

I can feel the right side of the monitor to be warm to the touch of my hand (both front and back side).  So I bought a small fan to blow air on each/both sides and the problem still occurs.

Currently fiddling with NVIDIA control panel settings, but still the blinking off.   Nearly at wit's end.  Thinking of replacing the 25xi since it is four years old.  

HP Recommended

@Retexan599

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

As I was continuing to troubleshoot this problem, I tried switching out the DVI cable for an HDMI connection.  This seemed to solve the blinking problem.  I was not expecting this result because the same DVI cable had worked fine with the old w2207 I had experimenting with as I commented earlier.   Possibly the problem was with the DVI port on the 25xi monitor. 

In the meantime, another problem developed with the monitor: the front panel control lights became inoperative.   To turn it off, had to unplug from the back, and could no longer make adjustments to the screen.  

I want to give a shout-out to HP.  Danny-r had passed my issue over to an HP service support case manager, Joshua H.  He arranged for me to receive a savings coupon, even though the unit was well out of warranty (four years old).  I used that coupon to offset some of the cost to buy a new monitor which has been delivered.  The new one is a model 27er.  

So, thanks to HP, you guys were great! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.