Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

My desktop screen shifts to the right about 1/2" after I reset factory settings?  I can correct it with the factory settings, but after about an hour it shifts back to the right again??

DEERJOHN
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello deerjohn,

I understand you are having issues where your monitor keeps shifting to the right, and that you have tried doing a factory reset on it and it continues to happen. There is not a lot of troubleshooting you can do with a monitor. I am providing you with the steps to do a hard reset on the monitor below:

Step 1. Unplug the power cord from the wall and from the monitor

Step 2. Hold down the power button while the power cord is unplugged for 30 seconds (this will drain ALL power from the monitor)

Step 3. Plug the monitor back in ensuring that it is plugged directly into a wall and not into a power bar or surge protector.

If the problem persists try reducing your screen resolution down a bit and see if that works.

In order to go any further with troubleshooting I would encourage you to post your product number for your computer (if it is an HP computer). I am linking an HP Support document below that will show you how to find your product number. As well, if you could indicate which operating system you are using. And whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit as with this and the product number I can provide you with accurate information.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please re-post with the requested information and I would be happy to provide you with assistance. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello deerjohn,

I understand you are having issues where your monitor keeps shifting to the right, and that you have tried doing a factory reset on it and it continues to happen. There is not a lot of troubleshooting you can do with a monitor. I am providing you with the steps to do a hard reset on the monitor below:

Step 1. Unplug the power cord from the wall and from the monitor

Step 2. Hold down the power button while the power cord is unplugged for 30 seconds (this will drain ALL power from the monitor)

Step 3. Plug the monitor back in ensuring that it is plugged directly into a wall and not into a power bar or surge protector.

If the problem persists try reducing your screen resolution down a bit and see if that works.

In order to go any further with troubleshooting I would encourage you to post your product number for your computer (if it is an HP computer). I am linking an HP Support document below that will show you how to find your product number. As well, if you could indicate which operating system you are using. And whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit as with this and the product number I can provide you with accurate information.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please re-post with the requested information and I would be happy to provide you with assistance. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

This seems to have corrected my problem!  Time will tell.  Why did you have me plug the monitor directly to the wall and not a power strip??  Thanks again.

DEERJOHN
HP Recommended

Hello again deerjohn,

I am glad my solution is working for you. To answer your question about being plugged into a wall, it has to do with the draw available to the devices. Only so much electricity can pass through the power strip and it has to be divided up amongst all the devices plugged in. It also adds resistance and like a resistor on a circuit board is lowers the available power going through. With any electical device if you find it not behaving as expected ensure it is plugged directly into a wall and see if that solves the problem.

*** Like you not getting enough sleep an electrial device will not function properly without the proper power.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you again for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi, I don't think I have an HP computer.  It says lenovo on my laptop.

Anyway, I have an HP monitor, and this shifting problem happens when I use my monitor but not when I use my laptop.  It's pretty annoying especially since I have spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting it, including your instructions to drain the monitor battery.  Didn't work.

I'm tempted to switch my monitor with my co-worker's at this point.

HP Recommended

This still isn't working I don't know what wrong with it. Isn't there a way to reset the monitor  completely? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.