Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I set up my new HP 5746 wireless printer to work with my iPhone 6, but each time I try and print over my wireless network I get a Out of Paper Message, even though the paper tray is full.

I have also printed our a network configuration page from my phone, so it is verified connected to printer via network, but when I select anything else on my phone to print same message.

What's up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me with some suggested fixes for my problem.  Updating the printer software solved my problem and I can now print wirelessly using my iPhone.  I appreciate your quick response.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @teets,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printing issue.

I understand that your are using an HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer with your iPhone 6 and when you try to print over your wireless network you are getting an Out of Paper message. I would like to help with that. 

It was good that you were able to print the network configuration page from the phone. 

First, check the printer's control panel to see if there are any printer updates using the printer's control panel.

1. Load letter or A4 unused plain white paper into the paper tray.

2. From the printer control panel, touch Setup.

3. Touch Printer Maintenance.

4. Touch Printer Updates.

5. Select Check for Updates Now.

If there is an update available allow it to download and complete, then try to to print. Sometimes an update is all that is needed to fix an issue like this.

If that did not help, try printing a Printer Status Report page just to make sure the printer hardware is functioning, and pulling paper properly, using the printer's control panel.

1. From the printer control panel, touch Setup.

2. Touch Reports.

3. Touch Printer Status Report.

If that prints, it can be assume that the printer is functioning.

When you are printing from your iPhone are you using the HP ePrint App or just the AirPrint print option offered when you are using other apps on the iPhone?

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me with some suggested fixes for my problem.  Updating the printer software solved my problem and I can now print wirelessly using my iPhone.  I appreciate your quick response.

HP Recommended

Hi @teets,

Thanks for getting back with the good news!

Please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons up on my initial reply above so others with similar issues can find the solution easier. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

had the same problem... and came up with a quick and easy solution.

Select something to print that won't take a lot of ink and choose the plain paper setting.

Take plain paper... I used two and poured 99% alcohol over the top/middle of the sheets.

Insert the sheets into the tray and print on the pages  Each sheet will be picked up and pass through the printer.

This will clean the pick up roller... and will allow you to print again.

God Bless

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.