Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I just got off the phone with an HP representative. They are going to reimburse me for all of the ink that I bought trying to get my printer to work... Running it through all those cleanings sure eats a lot of ink!

If you are within warranty, I would definetly give them a call and see if you can get a replacement printer. It might do the same thing to you though!

This is the message/contact info that I finally got:

[edited by Moderator]
Please include:

- Your full name
- Country location
- Telephone contact number
- Email address
- Model and serial numbers of your unit
- Any HP Case numbers or HP Service Ticket numbers you may have been provided by Hewlett-Packard

I look forward to your response,

Best regards,
[edited by Moderator]

GOOD LUCK!

HP Recommended

This printer should be recalled but HP will not own up to the fact that their product is defective.  Rather than waste time and money, do as I did and trash the 5514.  I have purchased a Cannon MG 3222 and have not had a problem with printing.  Also the cartridges seem to last longer.

HP Recommended

Hi Fatladysang,

"Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I'm sorry to inform you that your post has needed some editing to remove personal information of the Support Representative. From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you"
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

i can buy a replacement black ink print head at amazon for $45 plus $5 shipping, or half the price of a new printer.  

has anyone installed a print head in these cheap consumer printers?  and if so, how tough is it?

my symptoms are the same as everyone else in HP land.  print head won't work after i installed a brand new authentic HP cart for black.   anyone suspect it might be programmed to do that--nice way to boost sales of new HP printers. 

thoughts anyone?  thank you

ps:  

found out that HP won't cover anything past one year.  the 3 year plan i bot at staples does not cover print head problems.  do not buy extended warranties for consumer products.  they are worthless these days.  the warranty plan folks have figured out what to exclude---anything that actually breaks.  But, if martians attacked my printer or it was run over by pack of wild elephants, it would be covered. 

HP Recommended

thank you for the advice.  but HP tech support did not have any meaningful solutions other than what is already online.  but i did get to spend 90 minutes with them--45 on hold off and one, and 45 going over everthing that is already online.  what a pleasant way to waste the day

HP Recommended

based on this forum, i see a half dozen (former ?) HP customers with the same problem in the same genre of printers....and 4 said the problems began when they installed a new HP black ink cart.   that tells me the 2012 HP printers are defective, HP knows it, and HP will not do anything about it.   

Thankfully, Staples said i can return $100 worth of HP carts i just bought and installed.  

My 30 year relationship with HP is over.  i will not buy any more HP products (and i bought a lot over the years---computers, monitors, printers, scanners, ink carts, .etc.).

I will buy a new printer today---i hear the Cannons are good.  maybe Cannon or Brother are just a bad as HP, but what do i have to lose?  HP will not stand by its consumer products.  The extended warranty plans you can buy are a joke--they cover nothing that tends to break ....like print heads.  And HP keeps the game going with bad print heads that easily clog, so they can sell more replacement printers.   

Sorry---game over for me.  good bye HP forum....good luck everyone.  

HP Recommended

OMG!!!!  Well this definately just sucks!!!  Printer with an obvious flaw and now I have to chuck it... along with the other printer I bought for my mom because ovbiously this will happen to hers... Wow!!  and of course I'm out of warranty... I may just be able to save hers... it may still be in warrant since I got it for her christmas last year... UGH!!!! 

HP Recommended

Hello @mia11691,

I understand your frustration, I would like to work with you to resolve the issues you are experiencing with your HP Photosmart 5514 which is not printing in black ink.

I would like you to start troubleshooting here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages, I understand you may have done some of these steps already but I need you to complete all steps in order to resolve the missing black issue you are experiencing.

Please note: There are three printhead cleaning stages. Complete all three stages if necessary. If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes after the last (third) cleaning stage to start the first stage of the cleaning process over again.

If you are still unable to print in black ink, I suspect the issue may be the printer and not the cartridge. Please let me know which Country/Region you are in as well as the product Warranty status: HP Warranty Checker

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I just moved to the Mac world, I have the HP 5514 printer (5510d) that works just fine with my Dell Laptop running Win 7. But when I try to print from my Mac the Black doesn't print. I also print to another  HP printer and it works. I have prined  the Test Page on each for a comparision. I have downloaded the latest Mac drivers that are on HP web for OSx 10.10.

Strange that all HP wants to do is clean or replace print heads and cartages. I can and will as others have done replace the HP with another brand that works. For the price difference of less than $50  for new set of ink cartages I can replace with a NEW Printer. (and get new cartages with it also) :OpenSmile:

PS: Yes the cartages I have are HP.

HP Recommended

I have tried all the suggestions at this link and nothing has worked. My printer is no longer under warranty. I live in the US.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.