Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm just one more person who has inserted the wrong cartridge in the wrong slot and is now unable to remove it. :smileyindifferent: I didn't find an answer for my setup, so here are the specifics:

HP Officejet 5610

Wrong ink cartridge: 58

Wrong slot: the left one, meant for cartridge 22.

From other similar problems/solutions, I understand that I should use a tool, often a screwdrive or knife, and apply pressure in a certain area to be able to wiggle out the cartridge. I just need to know where with my setup.

(BTW: I think it's an engineering design mistake to have a standard three-colour cartridge on the left, and the black and photo cartridges on the right.  It is only human to believe that the photo cartridge would go to the same slot in which the three-colour cartridge goes to.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Remove the other cartridge and look at the top of the cartridge, near the front there is a plastic ridge.  There is a corresponding ridge in the underside of the top of the latch. This is keyed, intended to keep the black/photo cartridges out of the color slot and vice versa.  If the cartridge is pressed into the wrong slot this ridge can get under and behind the plastic bar in the latch designed to prevent this.

To remove the cartridge get a table knife and gently slide it between the top of the cartridge and the underside of the latch.  Gently lift the knife to pry down the cartridge and release it.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Remove the other cartridge and look at the top of the cartridge, near the front there is a plastic ridge.  There is a corresponding ridge in the underside of the top of the latch. This is keyed, intended to keep the black/photo cartridges out of the color slot and vice versa.  If the cartridge is pressed into the wrong slot this ridge can get under and behind the plastic bar in the latch designed to prevent this.

To remove the cartridge get a table knife and gently slide it between the top of the cartridge and the underside of the latch.  Gently lift the knife to pry down the cartridge and release it.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your advice, Bob!

As I'm trying it only by tomorrow, may I ask if there is a difference if I try the knife technique when the cartridger is in the "locked", or the "unlocked" position?

Common sense tells me "unlocked", but my personal "common sense" already forced the cartridge in the wrong slot. :generic:

HP Recommended

I would suggest turning on the printer and then open the lid as if you were going to change the cartridge.  When the cartridges move to the position to change cartridges unplug the printer (without turning it off) just as an added precaution while poking around with the knife.

Be gentle as you pry the cartridge down a bit, you do not want to damage the carriage.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I have accepted this as the right solution, and it is.

However, with knives and screwdrivers of our household, I did not manage to pry out the cartridge. It is stuck on the upper right side, and I just didn't want to break everything with the wrong tools. Instead, I bought a new printer and will carry the old one to a recycling center where they have better tools.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.