Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
macOS 10.12 Sierra

My printer is less than six months old. I replaced the Black 'Setup' cartridge yesterday without a problem. Today I installed a replacement HP302 Colour cartridge that refuses to work. The message is; Ink Cartridge Problem. I have removed it and reinstalled it a number of times without success. I have disconnected the power lead. That doesn't work.

I replaced the 'Setup' Colour Cartridge to try and isolate the problem. That worked albeit with a low ink warning.

Replacing the old cartridge with the new one put me back to square one. No working printer! Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It appears you have a defective cartridge and will need a replacement.  I would first clean the cartridge contacts as shown in the document here, if that does not resolve the issue contact HP for a replacement (assuming it is an HP cartridge). See the document here for information on HP's cartridge warranty.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It appears you have a defective cartridge and will need a replacement.  I would first clean the cartridge contacts as shown in the document here, if that does not resolve the issue contact HP for a replacement (assuming it is an HP cartridge). See the document here for information on HP's cartridge warranty.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Many thanks Bob. I think you are confirming what I suspected. Since its the first replacement cartridge I bought it doesn't inspire me with confidence. I cleaned off the contacts with no luck. I'll go out and buy a new one and try and get a refund on the duff one.

HP Recommended

I am wondering - are the replacement cartridges HP or third party refill/remans?  It is rare (but not unheard of) for HP cartridges to fail.  Third party cartrdiges are much more prone to "dead on arrival" failures, see the document here for a third party study.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

The Cartridge was a genuine HP302 purchased from Amazon. I purchased another colour cartridge locally and that solved the problem. Worked first time. 

I'll now see if I can get the cost refunded from Amazon.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.