Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp elitebook 8460

Last time I used my laptop, it was working perfectly and shut it down correctly. But now when I turned on my laptop, it does not perfectly turn on. For the first try i turned it on and it lit for a few seconds then it shut downed. Next try is it does not completely turn on and when turning on, the only thing that happens is i hear a fan whirring and after a few seconds it shut downs again

I am an HP employee.

Want to help? Become an Expert!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hey there John,

As you have mentioned that the laptop is shutting down intermittently.

1. Do you have a known good adapter where you can swap with.

2. Have you checked adapter with different wall outlet.

3. Please remove battery and adapter and hold power button for 30 seconds so it does power drain the laptop.

4. If you are comfortable in reseating memory and hard drive on laptop please try to do this step.

If any of the above steps does not work it is hardware issue with the laptop so contact HP for hardware repair options. 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying! That didn't work.  What is the phone number?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I just got a new Elitebook 8460 and I can't find the on button. Where do I look?

HP Recommended

I am sorry that the steps provided did not work. I cannot provide the telephone number however you can click the link below and get the support.

www.hp.com/support

Hope this answers your query.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey there Meg,

It's good to here that now you are a part of HP family by buying a hp product. As you needed to know the where the power button located on the Elitebook 8460p. The power button is located at top left hand side of the chassis above the keyboard.

Hope this answers your query.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

bump

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi John,

As you have mentioned that the laptop is shutting down, please try and follow below steps.

1.Please unplug the adapter and also pop out battery if it is reseatable.
2.Press and hold down power button for 10 secs and let it go.
3.Put the battery back in and try powering on now.

Please let me know if these steps work.

TechRush5
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I tried all that, nothing works! I have a paper due in two minutes, please help!

I work for HP Inc
HP Recommended

Am sorry the steps did not work, could you check if you have a good known adapter to swap with? and also check with different wall outlet.

TechRush5
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.