Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Setting up a new HP LJ 600 M602dn. Printing from a workstation running Win8.1, using either the Universal Print Driver PCL6 or the printer-specific driver. Printer is set up on a network with a static IP address.

Tray 2 and Tray 3 are loaded with letter, plain. All print jobs prompt to feed paper in Tray 1 unless Manual Feed is disabled via the web interface for the printer. Tray sizes cannot be set using the web interface. Tray 1 is set (automatically) to Any Size, Any Type. I have tried changing the settings for Tray 1 under Use Requested Tray (First/Exclusively) and Manual Feed Prompt (Always/Unless Loaded) and neither setting has any effect.

I just want my print jobs to use paper automatically from Tray 2 or 3 and not prompt for manual feed, especially as Tray 1 is not in use (no paper loaded). Disabling manual feed doesn't seem like a good option as I may want to use it at some time.

Why is this set as the default behavior? I just want to print and have the printer process the job without walking over to it and hitting a button.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Manual feed should be disabled by default under print settings. Disabling it doesnt mean you cant use the tray, it just wont prompt you to load it with paper on every print job.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Manual feed should be disabled by default under print settings. Disabling it doesnt mean you cant use the tray, it just wont prompt you to load it with paper on every print job.

HP Recommended

I doesn't solve the problem...

Same problem on M680!!

Who is the genius at HP who has decided to set the manual feed as the default tray (tray 1)?

Genius-meme.png

HP Recommended

My issue was with the media source mapping. Once I changed the setting from standard to classic, it fixed my problem.

MEDIA SOURCE MAPPING: Select and maintain trays by number when you are not using the printer driver or when the software program has no option for tray selection. CLASSIC: Tray numbering is based on HP LaserJet 4 and older models. STANDARD: Tray numbering is based on newer HP LaserJet models.

Directions for how to change the setting on a LaserJet 600 M602

On the physical printer press the home button.

Go to Administration. Click OK

Go to General Print Settings. Click OK

Go to PCL. Click OK.

Go to Media Source Mapping. Click OK.

Set to Classic.  Click OK.

There was nothing on the web anywhere that mentioned this as a possible fix.

Hope this is helpful to others.

HP Recommended

The printer does not have manual feed enabled, yet it still prompts to manually feed tray one when the document should go to tray 2. Very frustrating. 

HP Recommended
What is the exact message it gives you when it comes to feed from Tray 1?

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

You have to go to the printer and respond to the message on the LED panel to load paper for Tray 1 and tell it to use Tray 2.

HP Recommended
I don't think that's the exact message it usually says something like load plain letter Tray 1.

And the exact wording will give us a clue as to how tray two might be set incorrectly which is why it's asking for paper from Tray 1.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended
The other thing you can do is open and then close tray 2 and it should ask you something about do you want to modify paper type and size and hit OK the size should be a letter and the type should be plain or any.

In addition to being certified on this machine there are three of them in the office where I work every day and I do not have any issues like the ones being reported.

HP Recommended

The issue does not appear to be how the trays are set. We believe it maybe due to settings in the document which was created in Office 1997 or 2000 as it is a doc file. It only happens on this older document. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.