Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have been running my HP Deskjet 6988 via an ethernet with USB connection to my router.  I want to run it wirelessly.  I downloaded the latest printer software from the HP site (Mac OS 10.5)  I never get a "setup assistant" screen or a setup step during installation.  Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

When the printer is connected to the router via Ethernet, print a self-test report from the front of the printer to obtain its IP address.

Type that IP address into the address bar of a web browser.  On the resulting page (the internal settings of the printer), go to the Network tab and look around for a Wireless Setup Wizard.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

You have to disconnect the Ethernet cable (what is the reference to USB - I did not understand that) to enable the wireless radio.

Also, after unplugging all cables, but before running the software, reset the printer:

1. Verify that the printer is powered on.
2. Press and hold down the Report Page button.
3. While holding down the Report Page button, press the Cancel button three times.
4. Release the Report Page button.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
Is it possible for me to use this printer with my iPad 2. I do have wireless and am able to print from this printer with my laptop. Thanks
HP Recommended

No, you cannot print directly from the iPad operating system to this printer.  You could print with HP's ePrint app, but what you can print is limited.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Hey - 

I am using OSX 10.7.4, and I can't figure out how to connect this thing (HP Deskjet 6988) wirelessly...

I tried watching the video here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04510394

...but the part that I needed (how to actually connect the printer to the network) was left out... In the video, the narrater said "we're not going to go over that in this video," which I understand, but I didn't see any other information on that page that would help me.

I tried connect the printer to my router via an ethernet cable and setting it up through bonjour, but obviously that didn't help for trying to make it work wirelessly.

I've been without wireless printing function on tihs surprisingly durable (so far) printer since I updated my old computer to WIndows 7, and I still can't do it with my new Mac with OSX 10.7.4, so if you can help me... I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

-brandon

HP Recommended

..also, I tried resetting the printer's network settings and using the WPS setup to no avail.

HP Recommended

When the printer is connected to the router via Ethernet, print a self-test report from the front of the printer to obtain its IP address.

Type that IP address into the address bar of a web browser.  On the resulting page (the internal settings of the printer), go to the Network tab and look around for a Wireless Setup Wizard.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!!!!

I haven't used my printer wirelessly in... literally, years! I can't believe this worked!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 

PLEASE tell them to put this somewhere on the site... if it is and I missed it, then I'm an idiot.

Serioiusly, thank you so much! 

-brandon

HP Recommended

I'm back!!

I wanted to reiterate that your reply is the ONLY thing I've found that has gotten this to work! THANK YOU!!!

I also wanted to update to say that I have since upgraded to OSX 10.8.4, and yes, it works on that too!

Even better: it ALSO works on my girlfriend's computer that runs OSX 10.6.

I know it's been a while, but I feel like people need to see your answer! Thanks a million!

HP Recommended

Oh, I am glad it is working for you.  This is pretty much the only way to connect these older printers using modern versions of OS X.

I am employed by HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.