Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

This did work for me. Thank you. I've been on the hp website forever, trying to find a solution.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hey @NoniFaux

Thanks for posting in the HP Support Forum. :robothappy:  

Did you still need help learning how to scan using your ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer in combination with a Chrome box? 

If yes, please read on, I have some tips that you might find useful: 

The Chromebook-friendly scanning method is known as Webscan.  As you have likely enabled a wireless connection on your printer, here's how to use Webscan:

• Touch your printer's wireless icon (Wireless Icon.jpg) and make a note of the IP address.  
  • Open up your Chrome browser, type in the IP address and hit Enter. 
  • This should take you to your printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS).  
  • Click on the Scan tab to access the Webscan options.  As you can see in the screenshot below, (different printer model yes, but the settings you'll see for your printer will be virtually identical), you can configure your printer to scan to PDF, as well as JPG and adjust other preferences.  You can scan from the ADF as well as the glass scanner bed.  

EWS Scan.png

In addition to Webscan, if you are a smartphone or tablet user (Android, Windows and iOS), you have another scanning option available to you.  If you're interested, click here (Android)here (iOS), or here (Windows 8.1) to install the HP All-in-One Printer remote.  Using this app, you can scan directly to your handheld device.  Click here for more information on how to use the app in supported operating systems for a list of FAQs.  

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns with these scanning methods and I'll be happy to go into greater detail.  If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to say "You rock!" by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below and clicking to accept this solution.

Have a great day!

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi  ive managed  to  set  my  chrome  book  up  to  scan  but  my  printer is  still saying  no  computor  found?

HP Recommended

Hi @mollys

Thanks for reaching out. 

Which printer are you using? One thing about scanning to Chromebook is that you don't need to hit 'Scan to Computer' from the printer's front panel. If the printer you're using can connect to wireless, touch the wireless icon, make a note of its IP address and then type that address in a web browser and press Enter. This will take you to your printer's EWS (Embedded Web Server). Click on the 'Scan' tab to use Webscan (the only possible method of scanning to Chromebook). 

Let me know if this helps. 

Regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi thanks yes I have managed To do a scan from my Asus Chrome book it just says on my printer panel  not connected  to computor is this how it should be Thanks Molly ?

HP Recommended

Hi @mollys

As long as the scan's working I wouldn't be concerned. It could be that if you'd hit scan to computer from the front panel at some point the printer's seeking out a software connection that it would typically find on a Mac or a PC, which the Chromebook isn't going to provide. 

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Cheers, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Ok  thanks a lot but one last question    I got the password to set my wireless connection up of my  wireless modem but we're do I get my password if it asks for it in future? 

HP Recommended

No problem. 

If you mean the wireless password, make a note of what you're using currently. If you haven't customized the WiFi password it's typically found on a sticker somewhere on the router. It may appear as the 'WPA.'

If you have a PC (aside from the Chromebook) you could use the HP Print and Scan Doctor to retrieve that info as directed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHorUW6sZ9k

Otherwise, you'd have to let me know the router make and model and I could direct you to the third party guide on how to find your wireless password. 

Regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Ok Thanks for your Help 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the clear and easy to implement instructions on using webscan.  It worked for me.  I can scan from my HP 4520 all in one rto my chromebook!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.