Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have lost the sound on my HP 620 laptop. In the Audio control and device manager everything looks fine: drivers are visible and it's stated "This device is working correctly". I can see the green gauge in the Volume control moving when I test audio, BUT nothing comes out of the internal speakers.

There are two devices in Audio playback tab:

Speakers/Earphones IDT High Definition Audio CODEC   and

Earphones (real time data) IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.

I tried uninstalling the Speakers/Earphones device, downloading the latest driver from HP and installing again, but no luck.

When I connect the laptop to the TV via HDMI the sound works fine.

The only major change I can think of now is a BIOS update which HP Support Assistant did on June 2. The sound problems started before that.

I haver an HP 620 Serial number: {Personal Information Removed}, Product number: WT249EA#UUW, Vista 64 bit.

Hope someone can help, Mikael 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good day.

This is for those who have trouble on speakres on HP. 

I have a problem that my speakers doesn't work, ut i have sound when I connect headphones. i tried everything, reading on web and traying every solution but nothing happens.

Finaly i just blow in headphones connector and use tootpick to clean inside of connector.

Inside of connector there is litlle relay. When headphones are connectet that relay turning off speakers and switching sound to headphones. So, if there is dust that relay can stay in closed mode and sound can't "go" to speakers.

So, I hope that this methot will help for your problem! 🙂

I'm sorry if may gramm was not verry vell. :):) 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hello MW55,

I see that you are having  a sound problems on your computer.

I would suggest posting your message on the HP Commercial Forum as well. The link will take you directly to the board specific to your computer.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

I have the same problem - an dno-one appears able to solve it! Any ideas would be gratefully received!!

HP Recommended

Hello Joe_Thompson.  I understand you also don't have sound.

Do headphones produce sound?

What version of Windows do you have?  Did it come pre-installed, did you upgrade, or did you perform a clean installation?

What steps have you taken to try and resolve the issue?

What is the product number of your notebook?  This document can show you where it is located.

Have a lovely day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hi there

Yes - the headphones jack works perfectly. The model no. is HP 620, model Delphi, D40 (HSTNN-185C-5 is the regulatory model no on the back). It is a 64 bit system with 283Gb hard drive. Windows 7 Pro was pre-loaded when I got it.

Hope this all helps?

Thanks - I wouls appreciate any help you can pass on

HP Recommended

You stated that it came with Windows 7 pre-loaded, did you perhaps update to Windows 8?  I only ask for clarification here because there are some common sound problems caused by the upgrade.

First, I suggest removing the driver and allowing Windows to perform the reinstallation.  Try the following.

1. Click Start, type "Device Manager," and press Enter.
  2. Expand the "Sound, video, and game controllers" section.
  3. Right click on your sound card and select "Uninstall."
  4. After it completes restart your computer.
  5. When Windows loads it will automatically reinstall the driver.
  6. Verify whether the problem persists and post the result.

Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended

AttackofZaq, I'm a bit lost now, are you talking only to Joe_Thompson here, or how does it work?

Anyway, I did the uninstall, automatic install didn't happen after reboot, I re-installed using latest driver from HP, still doesn't work. Headphones work fine, and TV sound via HDMI also.

I have W7 64bit (not Vista as I said in first post).

/Mikael

HP Recommended

Hello MW55, welcome back to the thread!

I was speaking with Joe_Thompson specifically.  However, that was only because you hadn't responded to the thread in a while.  I can still certainly try to help you as well!

Microsoft has an online tool for diagnosing audio problems.  I suggest you first try that utility to see if it is able to affect your issue.  Here is a link to the utility.

How long exactly has your problem been going on?  A good next step to take would be to try and perform a Microsoft System Restore.  This will refresh your computer back to a time before the issue began (if you have a date prior to the issue available).  This article has instructions for performing a System Restore.

Let me know the results and have a great day!

HP Recommended

Good morning Guys

Thanks for your help with trying to sort this audio problem out - I tried the options you suggested and they haven't worked unfortunately. I guess that maybe the speakers have just stopped working/blown/decided to give up the ghost? Not too sure where to from here but think it will mean getting a new laptop - will probably not go with HP again though... sadly.

Thanks for trying, really appreciate your efforts

Joe

HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried the online tool from Microsoft, it detected that the volume was turned down too low and adjusted that, but nothing more, problem still there.

I've had the problem for at least 6 months. The oldest system restore point on the laptop is from June this year,

so that won't work either.

If you have anything more to try, or any other leads, I'm most grateful.

thanks, MW55

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.