Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

New HP laptops as well as new laptops in general should have a 4 pin system internally this can cause issues with certains headsets/headphones and external speakers as not all of them have the 4 pin setup (look at the number of bands seperating the metal pins) This is because 3 pin is for headphone or mic only whereas 4 pin is for combined headsets, for reasons unbeknown some 3 pin sound devices just don't work in 4 pin jacks.

HP Recommended
Kurtf2014 You go to the top of the class; Also I suggest that you not touch an HP product with a 10 foot pole. That should be a safer distance. Soon with the help of HP and other manufactures the PC will be a thing of the past and hopefully put the companies out of business! Ham123 ps: "do it yourself" is always the best way.
HP Recommended

Great answer!  Defaulting the headphones worked for me using Windows 10.  Since the headphones did show up under "sounds" I did make them the default.  The speakers then worked and cut out the sound from the speakers.   When I unplugged the headphones, the sound then played through the speakers.  Thank you!

I couldn't find the "accept solution" button and I posted this under the HP person who helped but it ended up down here.   Hope this works for others too. 

HP Recommended

I've downloaded and redownloaded my audio devices and I'm completely frustrated at this point. I've noticed that my speakers are set to go through the audio jack as well, and thought disabling them would stop this problem. But I was wrong. Nothing. I'm slowly getting more and more annoyed as the days go on without an answer.

Thanks

LissaCoffey

Tech Support Manager

Qwikfix

HP Recommended

everyone i found a solution! 

1: go to device manager

2: find sound and game controllers

3:right click on high definition audio device and click update driver software

4:click browse my computer for driver software

5: then click on let me pick from a list of devices on my computer

6: and click on high definition audio device the top one

7: done ! enjoy!

HP Recommended

I was able to find a similar solution. Recently, Microsoft, in it's infinite wisdom upgraded a Windows 7 machine I have to Windows 10. Shortly afterward, my sound quit. I discovered that "headphones" had been set to default. When I changed it back to speakers, everything was fine. That got me thinking about my HP. I discovered that if I plugged in my headset, prior to starting any sound, the HP changed over to headset and worked fine. If I just plugged it in while something was playing, it wouldn't change. This happens both ways. If I unplug the headset with something playing, it does not automatically switch back to speakers.

HP Recommended

Hi man, I had the same problem with HP ZBook 15. I found this site that said to run troubleshooting in windows itself. I use windows 10 btw. Windows 10 Troubleshooting found that 'sound enhancement' was turned on, and it suggested to turn it off, with a button to open the sound setting window. I clicked the button, some sound setting window opened with the enhancement option, and I turned it off. And voila, it worked! I hope this can help others as well.

HP Recommended

I own an HP Envy X 360. It's a very high end laptop.  BUT I have to say that HP laptops have very cheaply made headphone jacks. I've had my laptop a little over a year and a half and the headphone jack has worn out !

It now only works if I plug in in all the way and pull it out a hair...THEN I have to put upward pressure on it. (I'll slide my wallet under it) I use it often because I like to listen to music through my laptop, using my headphones.

A word of advice to the manufacturers of Hewlett Packard computers. Please use proprietary parts when building your laptops. A headphone jack should last more than 19 months.

HP Recommended

You, my friend, are a GENIUIS!

HP Recommended

You are agenius for suggesting something so simple! Thanks so muck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.