Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavillion laptop using Realtek HD Audio drivers, the laptop picks up that something has been plugged into the 3.5mm Jack on the side (Single 3.5mm Jack designed for mic in/headphone out combined) but it doesn't seem to send the audio through. If I do a test in playback devices it shows the green bars fluctuating as if it is playing sound but no sound is actually played through, I have tried several sets of headphones all of which work on my desktop and iPod but non work on this piece of **bleep** HP laptop (which also has Wireless connectivity issues and is supposed to be brand new ( it was just replaced due to the screen failing) ) You guys got an amazing solution to this or do I just return it and blacklist HP for life given the fact that you can't seem to keep ontop of simple things like 3.5mm jack to send an electrical signal that is output as an audible sound.

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

Hi Kurtf2014,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I will be happy to assist you with the problem with the audio jack. I am assuming that without the headphones the audio is working correctly. Try going in your Sound and setting the headphones as the default audio device. This third-party link will show you how to do that. Give that a try and let me know how it goes. If you are still having problems please reply back with your product number and operating system.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Yea I tried that already, it plays fine through the speakers, it simply doesn't seem to get the sound to the headphones even although it detects them, using dts audio I can set it as a seperate audio channel this didn't work either I also tried updating the bios, reinstalling the sound driver, booting with them already in non of which worked.

HP Recommended

Hi Kurtf2014,

I just realized that I forgot to provide you with that third-party link to set your headphones as default. Give that a try and let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Dude I literally just said to you that I tried that already. Also it is Windows 8.1 and is an HP Pavilion F5B53EA#ABU

HP Recommended

Hi Kurtf2014,

At this point it sounds like it is a hardware issue with the headphone jack. I would recommend that you contact HP regarding a repair. You can reach HP Total Care at 1-800-474-6836 in North America or start here if you live outside of North America.

Thank you,

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I've got the same problem with the headphone jack on my HP Pavilion.  (This is just the latest problem I've had with this laptop, definitely not the first one).  I've been on the phone with HP support for about three hours (off and on) today.  It took me about 2 hours to convince them it wasn't faulty headphones.  On top of that, the support people spoke broken english, and I had a lot of trouble understanding them.  Seemed to get disconnected a lot when they transferred me to a supervisor.

I've honestly had glitches with this computer since I bought it.  A lot of freezing on Windows, forcing the whole computer to restart.  During the restart process, I get a screen that says windows ran into an error, and it goes back through the restart process for up to 15 minutes sometimes before it's able to load up.  The HP support guy at one point told me "Well, it's almost a year old".  I've got a cheaper Toshiba satellite laptop I bought in 2008 that's still running fine.  Do HP laptops only last a year?  What the hell did the HP support dude mean by his comment?

HP support told me I had to wipe my computer clean and restore it back to original.  We did that.  It still didn't fix my headphone jack problem, not even sure if it fixed the other problems to be honest (just did it today).  HP support told me it would be like new once we did this, but I tried to explain to them that I was having glitches in the operating system when it was brand new.

HP said they would send me a box to ship my laptop to them so they could repair the headphone jack.  Luckily, the place where I bought the HP laptop said they would exchange it for a new one (still under warranty) if I wasn't satisfied with HP Support's offer to me.  I'll go that route and hope that my new HP laptop is better that this one.  Not really too enthused with HP right now ...

HP Recommended

MidnightRider,

You made the correct decision about the box to hell. The HP hardware people have less of a clue than than the software support college. I have returned 2 HP x2-k010nr laptops with the same proble. Sent one laptop to TEXAS and they could find no problem!!! I asked what audio tests the performed and they indicated they were not setup to test external audio what a waste of time and money!!

Ham123 ps:  the grinch that stoled sound HP and Microsoft

HP Recommended

my laptop model Probook 6550b i5

headphone jack is not working and the store replaced  it with probookelite i7 and still the headphone is not working.

both the built in speakers is working.

PLEASE I NEED HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM.

THANKS THUNDERBOLT7440

HP Recommended

Have you tried a headphone extension lead? Or different headphones?

I have the same problem with one of my two pairs of headphones. Appears to be that the sensor that detects wether something is plugged into the laptop headphone jack can't detect certain alloys.

Once I used a headphone extension lead the problem was fixed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.