Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Elite x2 1012 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking for some help on how to PXE boot an Elite x2 1012 G1 tablet with a HP Elite USB-C Docking Station for SCCM 2012 OSD. Everything we have tried has not worked and the BIOS doesn't recognize the docking station's Ethernet port. Thanks, Michael

59 REPLIES 59
HP Recommended

Hi Michael, did you see the support advisory on using PXE with the HP Elite USB-C dock here?: link

I tested one and found the following worked 99% of the time to PXE boot.

1. Turn off 1012 and disconnect the USB-C dock for say 20 seconds
2. Reconnect then wait for the usb c dock to sync with 1012 for about 10 seconds, notice lights on dock change pattern.
3. Power 1012 on
4. You may see a black screen for a bit before the HP logo appears
5. At HP logo press F12 to PXE boot

There is currently an updated BIOS link you can try. I suspect there will be a bios update coming to resolve this.

I currently use "HP USB 3.0 to Gigabit LAN Adapter (N7P47AA)" link to PXE on the x2 1012 for SCCM 2012 R2 WinPE10 deployment. It uses the Realtek RTL8153 "Realtek USB GBE Family Controller" and  Its been 100% reliable. I havent injected any drivers as PE10(win10) already has them. Here is the driver softpack (windows 7, 8, 8.1,10) if required. link: sp73996

P.S - For anyone looking for the Win10 x64 x2 1012 SCCM client driverpack you can find it here link (For Windows 8.1 you will need to build your own barebone driverpack by installing HP SDM(HP Softpaq Download Manager) find x2 1012 and click on "Build Driver pack" and output as zip file, extract the zip and use in SCCM.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen the support advisory on PXE despite a lot of searching.

I previously had the 1.11 BIOS from 29th Jan, but I can confirm that upgrading to 1.12 from 26th Feb is a must for this to work.

I also had been using the sp73996 Realtek RTL8153 driver within Win 10, however without the BIOS update this driver had no effect as the Ethernet adapter was not even showing in the device manager (hidden or otherwise).

I've found that the sequence in which the dock is connected is extremely important. This dock is not a typical plug and play USB device. And I think end users will have problems using it without following specific instructions every time.

HP Recommended

I've got this problem aswell, but my network lights never start blinking and I never get the option to boot from PXE (F12).

I've waited for at least an hour before putting the USB-C cable into the tablet and another half an hour for the network lights to show up, but they never do. The PXE works with the same cable on normal desktop computers, so it can't be that. I also updated the BIOS to the newest version (february)

Might my unit be defective?

HP Recommended

You have to buy the USB NIC card for the 1012 to PXE boot.

HP Recommended

i have a usb to ethernet adapter. i also couldnt boot to ethernet.

when i press f9, there are no ethernet adapter option. only the ssd drive and boot manager option.

my usb to ethernet adapter port is not lighted up also.

HP Recommended

hold the power button on 1012 for 10 secs while in windows. hit power to turn on and retry F9 or F12 for PXE.

HP Recommended
You have to buy the USB network adapter specifically for the 1012.
HP USB 3.0 to Gigabit LAN adapter (N7P47AA)

It will allow you to PXE boot then on to the other issues. I've been working on OSD with SCCM for days now. My task sequence is failing on the OS write task.
HP Recommended

@DavidG_EIS wrote:
You have to buy the USB network adapter specifically for the 1012.
HP USB 3.0 to Gigabit LAN adapter (N7P47AA)

It will allow you to PXE boot then on to the other issues. I've been working on OSD with SCCM for days now. My task sequence is failing on the OS write task.

Whats failing on your TS? Ive imaged both 10 and 8.1 ok using SSCM 2012 R2.

HP Recommended
Failing on applying the OS. Win 10 x64. Works on all other machines. What storage drivers did you import? I think that's what I'm missing. It was odd. I got it to start applying once then it failed and constantly fails. I get a hash error which is odd because the tasks sequence works on all other systems.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.