Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 17-j130ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks,

The laptop was waking up on its own so I decided to try to update the BIOS. Bis mistake. The tool was running on Win10 64

The HP tool left me with a black screen and after that I've tried holding the win+B and power bottom to acces the Bios recovery but it does nothing at all. No beeps no blinking, nothing. 

I don't know if creating a flash drive with the bios will help as I don't have admin rights in a different machine to create the flash drive using HP tool.

Any ideas? Will the flash drive work if the BIOS recovery is not firing up?

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, I managed to solve the problem atthe following day without having  to wait three days for anyone to reply after the weekend, with the following steps:

1- I had to create an USB memory stick with the bios using the HP auto executable. It didn't help that for some reason it requires you to have admin rights in a windows machine. Why are not the files available as well in a simple zip file? It would have helped a lot! Please HP stop right now providing only autoexecutables... it only compliates things. It took me an extra day just because I couldn't access a windows machine with admin rights to install the executable.

2- Insert the memory stick with the bios in the dead computer.

3- Pressing B+Win key and press the power buttom. The machine didn't do any beep or noise as all the guides say. I just kept pressing hte B+Win key until I saw a Bios recovery screen, finally. Without the memory stick following this same step didn't show a thing nor did the computer make a noise or show any screen, just dead.

4- Wait for the update to finish.

My advise. DON'T do the update from windows, it screwed everything up. It is much reliable to do it from the memory stick. Too many things from windows can interfere with the process, just don't do it from Windows or at least create the memory stick first while you still can.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi@GregRS,

Thanks for choosing HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

BIOS issue on the PC. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

I request you try the steps from the link below and check if that solves the issue.

http://hp.care/2faU6LO

Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Well, I managed to solve the problem atthe following day without having  to wait three days for anyone to reply after the weekend, with the following steps:

1- I had to create an USB memory stick with the bios using the HP auto executable. It didn't help that for some reason it requires you to have admin rights in a windows machine. Why are not the files available as well in a simple zip file? It would have helped a lot! Please HP stop right now providing only autoexecutables... it only compliates things. It took me an extra day just because I couldn't access a windows machine with admin rights to install the executable.

2- Insert the memory stick with the bios in the dead computer.

3- Pressing B+Win key and press the power buttom. The machine didn't do any beep or noise as all the guides say. I just kept pressing hte B+Win key until I saw a Bios recovery screen, finally. Without the memory stick following this same step didn't show a thing nor did the computer make a noise or show any screen, just dead.

4- Wait for the update to finish.

My advise. DON'T do the update from windows, it screwed everything up. It is much reliable to do it from the memory stick. Too many things from windows can interfere with the process, just don't do it from Windows or at least create the memory stick first while you still can.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.