Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hi,<br><br>My HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC freezes at the HP loading screen before it gets to the username. It just has the little loading circle, and it gets stuck there. I've tried doing a hard reset, by unplugging everything from it, and removing the battery, holding down the power button for 20 seconds, it's still stuck on the HP loading screen when I push the power button.<br>I've turned it off, then started it back and pushed the &quot;esc&quot; key multiple times to get to the menu, but I don't know what I should do from here. Any help would be amazing. Thank you.
24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( usually f10 ) and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Note:  If the option to run these tests is not available in the Bios Menu, use the f2 diagnostic menu instead.

Can you also post back with the following details.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of your g7 series notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

2.  The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 64bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I ran a test, it says

Processor Check: PASSED
Hard Drive SMART Check: PASSED
Hard Drive Short DST Check: FAILED

FAILURE ID: M4NDXL-6J46NF-MFPWW1-60VR03
PRODUCT ID: B5Z52UA#ABA

Hard Drive 1

System Extensive Test: FAILED

Product number: B5Z52UA#ABA
Win8

And it says the BIOS Version is F.26, I don't know if you needed that part or not, I figured I would throw it in there.
I got this on 3-9-2013.
It just says about the model
Notebook Model: HP pavilion g7 notebook pc.
HP Recommended

Hi,

The short Disk Self Test ( DST ) error would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the start-up issue.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Plz someone help me!  I have an hp pavilion dv6700.  Got it back in 09.  It will not boot at all.  I have been able to do a f10 and run a test.  says hard drive failed.  have been turning on and off trying to do f8 for about 6 hrs now.  Not sure what I hit but now it is a blk screen that says:

OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND

_

The cursur is flashing.  I haven't seen this before & not sure how I got it but now I'm not sure what to do.  I have got to get into my computer.

PLEASE  someone help me!

hp pavilion dv6700

s/n [Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I am sorry to inform you that your post has needed some editing to remove personal information.]

HP Recommended

I  have the same problem.  I ran the tests and the hard disk (1) failed. My warranty is up...I don't know what to do from here.  Please  help.

HP Recommended

@TJN72 wrote:

I  have the same problem.  I ran the tests and the hard disk (1) failed. My warranty is up...I don't know what to do from here.  Please  help.

Hello TJN72.

You can easily replace the hard drive yourself.  What is your notebook's product number?

Have a great day.  I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

It is an HP  Pavilion g7  Notebook PC (G7 2251dx)

Product ID: D0M25UAR

I bought  it in April, refurbished.

I'm not sure I can afford to buy a new HD.

HP Recommended

@TJN72 wrote:

It is an HP  Pavilion g7  Notebook PC (G7 2251dx)

Product ID: D0M25UAR

I bought  it in April, refurbished.

I'm not sure I can afford to buy a new HD.

Good morning TJN72.

Did you create any recovery media after purchasing the notebook?  You will need this to reinstall the operating system.  If you did not create any recovery media I suggest you contact HP Support to order a set.  The number is 1-800-474-6836 if you're in the US/Canada.  If you're in another part of the world you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's contact information.

This document is your notebook's Maintenance and Service Guide.  It covers the disassembly of the notebook and how to replace the hard drive.  

Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended
Hey, I'm having the same issue with my notebook as the first post only the comp. Is about one week old! Ha it's taking system quick test right now and has passed everything but memory quick check and hard drive short dst are still going.. if is also my harddrive can it still be turned back on at all?? I'm taking it back in the am. But I've got several assignments due asap.. kinda freaking.. haa appreciate any words anyone can provide.. thank you and peace
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.