Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
compaq 325
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

laptop has been running slow
after a frsh install of win 7 64bit working great but CPU temp keeps climing to 95C and then laptop shuts off
should i remove heatsink and apply new thermal paste?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @email2elliott,

I understand you're having issues with overheating. I'd be happy to help.

First off. From a professional stand point, I do not recommend disassembling the notebook however, my personal opinion is that as long as you know what you are doing, replacing the thermal paste would be a good idea. If you've never done this before, then I would suggest taking the notebook to a repair shop and having a professional apply the paste.

Also, I would recommend following the steps in this document to further help reduce heat: HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

Hope this helps. If it did, please hit that Thumbs Up, and Accept as Solution. 

Cheers,

TechSurge.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hey @email2elliott,

I understand you're having issues with overheating. I'd be happy to help.

First off. From a professional stand point, I do not recommend disassembling the notebook however, my personal opinion is that as long as you know what you are doing, replacing the thermal paste would be a good idea. If you've never done this before, then I would suggest taking the notebook to a repair shop and having a professional apply the paste.

Also, I would recommend following the steps in this document to further help reduce heat: HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

Hope this helps. If it did, please hit that Thumbs Up, and Accept as Solution. 

Cheers,

TechSurge.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

HP Recommended

thank you
I found a service manual online and saw onliine the heat sink was easy to remove.
after removing the heat sink i also found a lot of built up dust and lint in front of the fan.
so after cleaning the exhaust port /heat sink fins and applying some new thermal paste the laptop is runnning super fast and super cool.
thank you for designing an easy computer to service and the quick support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.