Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,  
I dont know how to fix my hp pavilion dv6 laptop. 
The laptop is working,have the necessary sounds after i  
turn it on,but the problem is that the screen stays always black 
..I connect the lap top to tv screen or external monitor and it shows that everything is working properly.

The laptop may have hit a hard surface. The laptop worked well until about 1 week ago when I turned it on and the screen was hazy at first. I turned it off and turned it back on and the screen was completely black but still had the start-up sound. Someone suggested I see if it works on an external monitor and that worked.

Does anyone kow how I can fix the black screen of my hp pavilion dv6 laptop?

I do lots of study with it and have my exams coming up soon. I need my laptop to be mobile with me and not stationed in one place. Thanks in advance for the help!

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

I'm having this same problem.  It started after a HP Bios update (should have known to NOT update).  I found my external monitor (Samsung) works, but the laptop display (same HP Pavillion dv6) has no display.  I can get a display in safe mode but nothing else.  How can I get my old bios back (I think that's the primary problem here). 

HP Recommended

Hello Chi123,

I see that you are having problems with the display on your HP computer. I would like to help with this issue but I need some information.

Can you provide the model and product number of the computer? Here is a link that shows how to find that information.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

Hello dancepig,

I see that you are having problems with the display on your HP computer after running a BIOS update.

Here is a link that has information on restoring the BIOS to an earlier version. Follow the steps provided by the green expert Erico if your computer has the option.

If not please provide the model and product number of the computer for help.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

Here is the information for my laptop:

HP Pavilion dv6z-3100 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC

Serial Number:  {Personal Information Removed}

Product Number:  wv812av

Is this the information you need?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information, but it did not fix the problem.  I went to F2, Bios Management, roll back the Bios, it went through the process and there was no change.  Any other ideas?  It would be nice if I could use this laptop as a laptop.  Thank you. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information,

Here is a link to some troubleshooting steps for no internal display problems. This may help with your issue. I would suggest trying to do a graphics card driver update.

Do you know the brand of video graphics card you have installed in the computer? Since it is a configured to order unit I cannot find that information.

Signature

HP Recommended

I updated the graphics drive which was no help.  I do have display on the laptop but only in safemode, not when I start windows normally.  When I have the external monitor attached, and I have started my laptop normally, the display options do not show the laptop display, only the external monitor.  When I start the laptop in safemode, without the external monitor attached, I have the laptop display in the display setting options, but this is the only time I have this option. How can I get the laptop display to show up as a option when I have the external monitor attached?  I used to have this option, but after the bios update this option disappeared.  I did the bios roll-back but that did not fix the problem. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information,

I would suggest uninstalling the graphics driver from the device manager in the computer and restarting the computer. The reason I asked for the name of the graphics card manufacturer is because sometimes there are updates directly on their websites that are newer than the ones on HP's website. You can also try and roll back the driver update.

Signature

HP Recommended

I did remove the graphics driver and that fixed the problem.  I reinstalled the driver and it is now working.  Thank you.  I'll be more careful next time I'm told to do a large update from HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.