Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 15.6 inch 2-in-1 Laptop PC 15-eu0000 (267R8AV)

So I have a problem with my HP Envy 15-eu0005na. It will frequently just throttle the CPU to 400 Mhz and then keep the CPU speed there "forever".

The only way I have found to fix the problem, when it occurs, is to shutdown then start the laptop again. Even a restart will not fix the issue.

This problem occurs in both Windows 11 and Ubuntu. It is therefore not related to Windows drivers or installs. It happen after restoring Windows to its initial setup.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to when this occurs specifically, it happens when connected to mains power or on battery. I frequently notice it just with watching a youtube video, not even doing anything that taxing for the CPU.

A CPU temperature monitor shows it can happen even when the CORE temp is not that high. 40-50c

I have had my laptop returned to HP and they replaced the main board, but the problem still occurs just the same.

I personally did not encounter this issue until late last year and I bought my laptop at the end of 2021 with an extended support contract. Therefore, I assume that some Bios update that I have applied has caused the issue or caused it to happen frequently.

I would like to revert the Bios updates but the latest update states that its not possible to roll back. I am on 

F.14 Rev.A

I would appreciate assistance, but like I said above have already had the laptop returned and the motherboard replaced already.

Any help appreciated, but pretty unsure if I would ever recommend buying HP again at this point.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @turf00,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to assist you.

I see that you are facing an issue with your Laptop.

Please follow the steps below to perform an extensive system test to confirm if the hardware is working fine.

1) Shut down the computer.

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  

3) Press F2 once.  

4) Go to the system test > extensive test

If the hardware is working fine. Kindly refer to the steps on this link to perform a recovery and let me know if that resolves the issue. (Take a backup of the data before performing a recovery)

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Irwin6

HP Support

Irwin6
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi

I completed the extensive test as you requested and it passed.

I have previously already performed a Windows recovery and it made no difference, as I state in the post the problem occurs on Ubuntu as well.

What we have tried:

1. Resetting Windows via recovery

2. Laptop sent back and motherboard replaced.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Justin

HP Recommended

Hi @turf00,

I am sorry to hear that the above steps did not help much but i do appreciate your efforts in performing the troubleshooting steps.

The support on the HP community is currently available within certain constraints. We are striving to enhance our assistance and broaden its scope. We appreciate your understanding and patience.

I've sent you a private message with the instructions. In order to access your private messages, Click the Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Irwin6

HP Support

Irwin6
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.