Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I run a HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC with Windows 8.1. The battery life is very poor and I tried to keep it always plugged to the mains via my HP charger. Lately, in the morning, when I first wake it up from sleep and keep it plugged in. After loggin in, I get the message from HP smart Adaptor saying that I should consider another charger. About 5 minutes later, the laptop shuts itself down. I have no problems using that socket after the computer reboots or during the night time. Please advise what to do. Is it a hardware problem, or something caused by software, or even malware.

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @ptse,

If the notebook is not connected to the AC Adapter, and left on overnight, it is likely that the battery may drain, unless left in some type of sleep mode.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @ptse,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I read your post about the issue with the AC Adapter, and wanted to assist you!

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

In the meantime, try reviewing the following documents, and let me know how it goes:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎

HP Notebook PCs - Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

My model number is F7Q49PA. The product name is HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j129tx Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

HP Recommended

Hello @ptse,

Thank you for the information!

What were the results of the battery and AC Adapter test?

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I tried the preferred method for testing the battery. However, it doesn't actually run. Once I pressed run once, it was there for less than a minute, and then it says the battery is fine.

I have yet to do the test on the adaptor, as I need to update the UEFI.

HP Recommended

Hello @ptse,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Once you update the BIOS, and perform the AC Adapter test, please post back with the results.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have downloaded and installed the latest UEFI from http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/pps/pl_... However, the option for AC Adaptor is still not available.

HP Recommended

Hello @ptse,

Did you download the latest version of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics?  You can find it here: Download (v. 6.0.2.0).

If you are still having trouble, then try updating/restoring the BIOS using the following document: HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

Once you restart the notebook, check to see if you are still having the same issue with the notebook starting from Sleep Mode.  I hope this helps.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in reply. I have flashed my BIOS and update the UEFI again. Now the AC Adaptor is an option in component test. However, the test finishes in 10s, just like the battery test.

I don't seem to have the problem when waking my computer from sleep in the morning when I am keeping in charged through the night.

HP Recommended

Hello @ptse

Thank you for the information!

Some of the UEFI tests, will be quick.  Are you indicating that you are no longer having the issue with the notebook shutting down, after the adapter warning?  Does the issue seem to be resolved after updating the BIOS?

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.