Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp 15 db0186au
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is to inform you that I want to upgrade my laptop with ram and ssd,hence need some advices.

1. Which ssd type should I buy? M.2 SATA or M.2 NVME that will be compatible with my laptop?

2. Which frequency ram should I buy? I am thinking of going for 8GB DDR4 2666MHz CL 19 one stick with the stock ram so will there be any problem to use 12GB ram?

My laptop ssd slot looks like M.2 NVME ssd slot having a single key but will my laptop support nvme ssd? I have scanned my laptop in Crucial's website and got 3 M.2 Sata ssd advice,there was none M.2 NVME ssd so please let me know if my laptop will support the nvme ssd or not.

And will upgrading my laptop void my warranty?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06719946

The M.2 slot supports NVMe drives as indicated in chapter 1.

The memory upgrade info can also be found in chapter 1.

Yes, you can add an 8 GB memory module to the 4 GB module, but it will run in the lower performing single channel mode.

In order for the memory to run in the higher performing dual channel mode, you have to install the memory in matching capacities (2 x 4 GB, 2 x 8 GB).

Warranty...since this is a peer to peer forum, we cannot discuss warranty terms on behalf of HP.

Generally you will not void the warranty unless you break something in the process of upgrading the PC.

Since you have apparently already taken it apart to see the M.2 slot, the point of voiding the warranty is rather moot.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06719946

The M.2 slot supports NVMe drives as indicated in chapter 1.

The memory upgrade info can also be found in chapter 1.

Yes, you can add an 8 GB memory module to the 4 GB module, but it will run in the lower performing single channel mode.

In order for the memory to run in the higher performing dual channel mode, you have to install the memory in matching capacities (2 x 4 GB, 2 x 8 GB).

Warranty...since this is a peer to peer forum, we cannot discuss warranty terms on behalf of HP.

Generally you will not void the warranty unless you break something in the process of upgrading the PC.

Since you have apparently already taken it apart to see the M.2 slot, the point of voiding the warranty is rather moot.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Sir for clearing my doubts.....Have a great Day!

HP Recommended

Sir can i install any size ssd upto 256GB in my laptop or I have to install 256GB ssd only?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should be able to install any NVMe drive up to 1 TB.

The 256 GB capacity is just what HP offered in the model series.

You have a nice day too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.