Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17t-j100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

I am actually on hold with HP support.  They don't seem to know anything about the products.  Like the fact that their 17' laptops have the option of 2 hard drives.  And that you can change the drives and the OS.  That is the whole reason I buy them. 

Anyway, after running some microsoft updates and a couple of updates for some programs, the computer no longer recognizes the second hard dirve.  It was fine yesterday morning and now it is gone. The drive itself is fine.  (I checked it on another)  The OS drive was also messed up but I was easily able to fix it with my Windows 7 disk.  Which brings me to the other problem.  HP support cannot handle it if you change your OS.  Though all the drivers are available for the Windows 7 OS on their site. 

The first guy that started helping me started a program called Tweaking.com.  Thank goodness I made an system image before I called.  It is still running now.  The second person has given up without  even starting  helping when she couldn't understand the set up and told me I had to go back to Windows 8 before they could help.   i understand support is set for the lowest IT knowledge level, but they seem to know less than I do. 

Anyway, I checked the connections, but it all seems fine.  I just don't think I should have to pay $30 for cable when the computer is under warranty,  

Any other suggestions?  I'm going to pop my Windows 8 drive back in and see if it helps.  This is really frustrating. 

Thanks

Lizzie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Third time was the charm. The third guy was actually knowledgeable about computers and after a few checks, set up a repair ticket. They have shipped a box, though it hasn't arrived yet. Bad time of year to ship stuff. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@dzilizi, thank you for your reply, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Third time was the charm. The third guy was actually knowledgeable about computers and after a few checks, set up a repair ticket. They have shipped a box, though it hasn't arrived yet. Bad time of year to ship stuff. 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.