Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've been through all the services HP provided me to fix this issue and no results. 

First, the laptop was send to a repair centre in Poland. Came back a week later with the problem still occuring and a notification that the repair team could not reproduce my problem. 

Then a week later, an HP service guy came onsite and had a look at the laptop and told me this was just a normal thing with these kind of laptops. He also told me that there was nothing more they could do to fix it so I just had to work with it.

For me, this is not acceptable. We have several other brands of laptops in the office and they don't produce any kind of noise. This one however makes a constant noise and I cannot bring it to meetings because it's just disturbing.

Hope HP will come up with some sort of a solution in the future because this is not acceptable for a laptop that is supposed to be the top-line of the HP assortment.

HP Recommended

I bought my HP Elitebook Folio 9470m in January 2013. The very annoying high frequency fan noise was present from day 1. 

HP Support has escalated this case through their system and after replacement of two fans (first onsite tech, second replaced it myself), new tech onsite today replacing top case (paint quality seems to be very bad) and new keyboard, the sound level from fan is a little bit lower but still not gone (high frequency sound). The paint problem is also present on mouse pad, which will be replaced.

Photo keyboards: https://plus.google.com/u/0/108461027250729031344/posts/ZQR61FSiqF5. 

Please keep this discussion updated everybody.

HP Recommended

Purchased this laptop yesterday and have the same issue with the loud high frequency fan noise. I've updated everything that is possible including BIOS to the latest version (now I have BIOS v. F.40  from 4 Feb 2013). Also I've disabled the option "Always turn on fan when connected AC" in the BIOS. After BIOS update the noise became sligtly less louder but it's still much louder than the noise from all other laptops that I've had deal with and makes me feel uncomfortable when I work.

I have the following product number: C3C72ES#ACB.

My question to HP representative: is it the problem of a specific revision and it's already fixed in the following revisions?  If it's so I'll just replace it to the newer revision (e.g. to h4p02ea), otherwise I'll have to return it to the shop and change to another vendor.

HP Recommended

I haven't received a response on this issue either here or via installed to the laptop support on-line chat. Thus I suppose the support in HP is absent. I've returned the laptop to the shop and will try to find a different vendor's notebook. It's a pitty, since in all other  aspects the laptop is great.

BTW shop's serviceman said that cooling problems are common for all HP laptops, they often died from overheating.

HP Recommended

>I haven't received a response on this issue either here or via installed to the laptop support on-line chat. Thus I suppose the support in HP is absent.

This is a peer to peer forum, not an official HP support site.
Have you tried contacting the HPSC?
http://www.hp.com/go/hpsc

HP Recommended

I attended HP Tech Tour 2013 today and asked the HP Client team about these issues with fan noise on the 9470m.

They said that there where confirmed two issues with it:

- First issue is possible to fix with a firmware update were the fan spins up and down

- Second issue  can be fixed with replacing the motherboard with fan, this issue is when you have this high frequency noise from the fan

I'll try contacting HP Support again on Monday to hear if they have anything new for me to try and I'll mention this to them.

HP Recommended
No I didn't contact the HP support this way. But as I already said I tried to contact them using the online-chat and despite I was told the response will be in 2 minutes I haven't heard any in more than 40 minutes. Perhaps the support works so bad only in my region - Russia.

However it doesn't matter now, I've already returned the laptop to the shop and purchased another vendor's one which doesn't have such a problem.
HP Recommended

Anythign new here yet? I´ve seen and updated the newest BIOS version to F.44 but no improvement at all. Version F.43 had the fix "- Adjusts the speed of the system cooling fan to support the new Thermal Table." but as I said it didn`t get better :smileysad:

A statement from HP would be good.

HP Recommended

I do have the noise issue. try opening up the unit and found foreign materals inside the fan.

clear the plastic chips and the fan work fine and quiet.

You may want to try that.

HP Recommended

Have you tried this BIOS update?

F.43 http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=ch&prodTypeId=32...

via http://forum.projektneptun.ch/viewtopic.php?t=6998

I've found this machine to have too high a fan noise frequency, I'm not sure if I can use it for a fulltime work machine.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.