Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay013dx (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)

Can I upgrade the CPU  (i5-6200U @2.3 ghz ) of my laptop  SO THAT i CAN UPGRADE THE WINDOWS 10 os TO 11 VERSION?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The CPU is an integral part of the motherboard and cannot be upgraded.

There are no motherboards for the 15-ay model series that come with processors that meet Microsoft's minimum processor requirements of an Intel 8th gen core or newer processor.

If you are interested in installing W11 on your PC as is, you can read this discussion for how I upgraded several HP and Dell notebook and desktop PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements to W11 22H2/22H3.

You have to use the version of the Rufus utility that I zipped up and attached in the discussion (v3.18).

Re: Issues upgrading to windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8517912

If the in-place upgrade fails, you should be able to clean install W11 using the bootable W11 installation flash drive you made with Rufus.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Your system can be upgraded to windows 11 and no need for hardware change or having to erase your disk drive.  You should always have a backup in case anything goes wrong.

Do you want to upgrade?

Have you created a backup?

Can you pass diagnostics?

Tap the ESC key after powering on and press F2 to run diagnostics.
Do not allow any updates if disk or memory fail, especially a BIOS update.

To upgrade your existing system, you create a USB flash drive but you do not boot the USB.

You put the USB into your windows 10 system and search for "setup" on the USB and run "setup"

For a new system that has UEFI bios and GPT but does not meet all requirements,
Windows 11 can be installed using the Rufus trick.

Get Rufus here

Download Windows 11 with this link and use an 8gb or larger USB.
Windows 11 does not expire and Microsoft just leaves an activation reminder on the screen.
Othewise use the windows 10 license.

Configure Rufus to use UEFI boot and select the option that creates a local account
so as to avoid the Microsoft email login. Use options shown below:

BeemerBiker_0-1713531980494.png

Uncheck the "Set regional options" if you are creating the USB on another system that has a different OS than yours.
Do not upgrade to windows 11 pro if you are licensed for 10 home.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

The CPU is an integral part of the motherboard and cannot be upgraded.

There are no motherboards for the 15-ay model series that come with processors that meet Microsoft's minimum processor requirements of an Intel 8th gen core or newer processor.

If you are interested in installing W11 on your PC as is, you can read this discussion for how I upgraded several HP and Dell notebook and desktop PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements to W11 22H2/22H3.

You have to use the version of the Rufus utility that I zipped up and attached in the discussion (v3.18).

Re: Issues upgrading to windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8517912

If the in-place upgrade fails, you should be able to clean install W11 using the bootable W11 installation flash drive you made with Rufus.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.