Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy Touchsmart
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I purchased an HP Envy Touchsmart 15 a little over a year ago. The hinge seems to have come unglued fromt the inside. I read that the HP Envy is prone to this, since the hinge is glued in production as opposed to being fastened with a screw. I'm a graduate student, and I'm unable to use my HP for schoolwork due to the faulty hinge. The computer has been handled carefully, and it's never been dropped. This is my first HP. It was great when it was working; however, a laptop that costs nearly a grand and works only for 1 year due to the construction is extremelhy dissapointing. 

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how it was handled by HP. I purchased it through costco, so I should have an extended 2 year warranty on the device. 

Thanks in advance, 

Alexandria

88 REPLIES 88
HP Recommended

@AlexandriaP ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Alexandria,

I am having almost the same issue as you are. Both of my hinges are broken, though. My computer is currently working, but I do a back-up daily on my external hard drive, just in case. I know it is only a matter of time before it stops. My hubby bought mine for me for Christmas last year at Walmart. He also purchased an extended warranty from Walmart. I rely on this computer to run my small business among other things. My hubby said the same thing about the computer and the price. He bought it because he thought that it would be reliable for my business and the fact that I have had laptops in the past that were cheaper but didn't last long. Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks!

Heidi

HP Recommended

Just wondering if there was someone that I could get in touch with as well, in regards to the broken hinge. Mine are both broken on mine, although my computer is currently working. I'm not sure how long it will continue to work, so I do a back-up daily on an external hard drive.

Thanks!

Heidi

HP Recommended

@heidi_england 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message after the weekend from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details)

Cheers,

KarolB

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

HP got in touch with  me after this posting. They said I should contact Costco, because it was still under an extended manufacturer's warranty. Costco said that a broken hinge is considered physical damage and isn't covered under the manufacturer's warranty. The laptop is prone to this problem, because it's glued and not fastened some other way, but they still wouldn't fix it.  

I got back in touch with HP, and they said they could fix it for a discounted price of $130. I agreed, and they overnighted a box for the laptop. I sent my computer in the next day. They had it fixed and sent back in about a week.

Overall, I am happy with the repair service. It was quicker than I anticipated. It's still frustrating that the laptop broke due to faultly design and HP and Costco wouldn't cover it under the warranty. As much as I like this laptop when it's working, it shouldn't have broke as quickly as it did without being damaged. I'm very glad HP did fix it and quickly, but I wouldn't buy another HP after this experience.

HP Recommended

Alexandria,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have received a response asking for my serial number and other information. We'll see what they say. However, I will NOT be paying ANY money to have it repaired, because I consider this to be a manufacturing flaw and my hubby spent much more than a normal laptop to begin with. After tax and extra warranty coverage it was over $800. If it not repaired, I will just wait for it to stop working (backing up daily of course) and when it does I will purchase something other than another HP. I FLATLY REFUSE to spend anymore money on a laptop that has a design flaw, which is VERY OBVIOUS, given all the customers that I have seen complain about the same thing internet wide. My first hinge broke before my manufacturer warranty ran out, and my second one broke just after. He did purchase the additional coverage from Walmart. If they don't repair it for free, that will be the end of our business relationship, and a very valuable lesson learned. It may not be in the best interest of HP, as I do all the purchasing for my employer as well. In 2012, I purchased Dell laptops for the company I work for, and so far so good.  (9 in total for all employees to each have one at their desks, and 1 for my employer.) When it is time to upgrade, I will be taking this all into consideration. We will see how it goes, but I won't purchase from a company that won't stand behind their product.

Thanks again!

Heidi

HP Recommended

My Laptop screen is swinging like hell due to broken hinges. I have to go outside US by the end of the month. Someone please tell me how to get it fixed asap. MODEL: HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook.

Olic

HP Recommended

@Olic

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I Am Also Having The Same Problem With My PC , The Broken Hinge Is Now Causing Me More Problems

As I Can not Power The PC On Now, It Will Just Shut Down. I Would Like To Know What My Options

Are, & What HP Is Willing To Do About As It Seems Many People Are Having This Problem

-Thanks In Advance!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.