Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy x360 Convertible -K8Q06AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My HP Envy x360 15t convertible notebook is displaying an error on the battery icon. It says "12% available (plugged in, not charging)". The battery will charge to 100% if turned off, but will not when in use.

I have searched and see many posts with a similar problem, but none of the solutions offered have worked.

Here are the fixes I have tried:

1. Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and re-start
  2. Performed hard re-set for notebooks with a factory sealed battery
  3. Allowed battery to completely drain, and then re-charge to 100%
  4. Within HP Support Assistant:
  • Battery Check - Primary Battery: OK
  • Checked for updates, and installed all

Any additional ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Pink70 ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP ENVY x360 Convertible PC and issues with the battery charging while plugged in and on. I have checked into this and it would see that is is a power loss issue.

Plug the power adapter directly into a functioning wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.

If that does not solve this, please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Dear Pink70,

I know this reply might be a tad late, but I've experienced the exact same thing and hope that this will also help you.

It turned out that the bottom plate of the keyboard was making small short circuits, disrupting the flow of the electrons from the charging circuit sending out a signal to the OS. (Windows 10 Home edition in this case.)

If you open the case, and then place some non conductive material (e.g. plastic/cardboard) in between the charging circuit your laptop will function as it should. Please excuse the low quality image, I no longer have this laptop available, but I did send this through the WhatsApp to the customer with the exact same problem.

This has fixed it, it was caused in this laptop by a replaced hard disk which was thinner than the original. If you press hard on the keyboard, you will experience the exact same problem. It turns out that the build quality and design of the keyboard in this product is rather poor.

If you are inexperienced in opening laptops or performing service, please bring your laptop to an ICT professional, it will get small scratches on the paint if you open the laptop (4 places where the rubbers are located). Want to try it yourself? have a look at: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04157949 it is not 100% accurate.

• Please first remove all screws (there are 9 in total, 3 hidden underneath the rubbers).
  • Gently pry loose the four main areas with a flat head (plastic, if you have it) screwdriver. (stick the screwdriver between the rubber and the keyboard, gently pry loose).
  • Continue following the small hinges and pry them loose around the entire case.
  • Carefully disconnect the keyboard and mousepad flat cable ribbons (red area).
  • Cut a small piece of non conductive material (plastic / cardboard / 150mm paper / ... )  to size, just enough to cover the microchips in the red area.
  • Reconnect the cables and carefully reassemble the laptop.

It will definately work like a charm again.

Kind Regards,

Nick.

Charging circuit.png

HP Recommended

Thanks Nick.  I am wondering if this is the issue in my laptop as well.  I did upgrade the pretty terrible standard HDD to a solid state drive, although I believe it was the same thickness as the original and worked great until immediately after my warranty ran out... Now I'm constantly re-flashing the BIOS which seems to correct the problem for a couple days at a time.  I was assuming it was a software conflict with Windows 10, battery drivers, or some other HP software because it all started after an automatic update to Windows. I will give this a try to see if it helps in my case.  

HP Recommended

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Unfortunately, it appears that my battery needs to be replaced, and since it's a factory sealed type, I need to send it to HP for service. A little frustrating, since I will be without it for a few weeks, but at least it's still under warranty.

As a side note, the folks I spoke with at the HP helpline were quite nice, easy to understand, and ultimately were able to determine a solution.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Nick! Your suggestion to insulate the main board from the keyboard worked for my x360! Saved me the cost of a battery- Next round is on me!

Eric-

HP Recommended

Thank you Nick!!  This worked for me for my HP Spectre X360.  I have owned my Spectre for a little over a year.  It has worked great with no issues.  I was using it on Tuesday of this week and noticed it was at 18% battery life, so I plugged it in.  Then a while later it pops up saying I am at 12% battery life.  I did some checking to see if I had it plugged in good and that the outlet was working.  I even checked with a multi-meter to see that the power cord was getting power to the laptop.  All tested out good.  So I was plugged in and power was getting to the laptop, but it was not charging the battery.

I shut down the laptop and logged in to our desktop machine.  I searched Google for answers and found several.  Yours is the one that worked.  I now get a light saying it is charging.  After letting it charge for a while it is saying I am at 66% battery life.  This post was a life saver!  Thanks!!!

HP Recommended

So, could you please be specific about which parts did you isolate? And, the battery charges when the laptop is ON?

Thanks!

Cheers

HP Recommended

can  you  please send me bettere picture where to put nonconducting piece so my battery can start charging

HP Recommended

@Joseph73d

Hello,
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. I recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/postpage

To be more helpful with your post, you may add key information if you wish:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.