Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have had my Hp pavillion dv6-6c35dx since about may of 2012. Everything has generally worked fine...until now.. for about the past couple of months my simplepass has stopped working. As in, while i am still able to log on to windows using my finger swipe, it doesnt pop up on websites that it should have passwords remembered for. I cant remember if I ever clicked the "dont show me this again" but have checked to see that all used sites are enable and it seems that they are. I just tried an update and it said that it failed, could this be the reason? simplepass was the only thing that made me buy this laptop 😞 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please uninstall the Simplepass software from Control Panel, Programs and Features.

Download the latest SimplePass software from the following weblink:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61001-61500/sp61399.exe

Links for using the Simplepass software:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader (Windows 7, Vista)

HP Notebook PCs - Setup and Use the SimplePass 2011 Fingerprint Reader

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

Please uninstall the Simplepass software from Control Panel, Programs and Features.

Download the latest SimplePass software from the following weblink:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61001-61500/sp61399.exe

Links for using the Simplepass software:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader (Windows 7, Vista)

HP Notebook PCs - Setup and Use the SimplePass 2011 Fingerprint Reader

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

At a point in time, my Simplepass (old version, 2011) stopped working. That is, I could open it and operate it, but it didn't come up automatically in IE and Firefox.

The Fingerprint reader works, I use it to unlock my computer.

I searched this forum and applied all the solutions suggested by the various contributors:

*  Upgraded the Fingerprint reader driver to 4.3.205.0 (sp55109.exe).

*  Uninstalled Simplepass (2011) using Fixit.

*  Removed C:\Program Files\AuthenTec and C:\Program Files (x86)\AuthenTec

*  Installed Simplepass 5.3 (sp63224.exe).

*  Did the occasional reboots as recommended.

*  Kicked the PC by powering down, removing the battery for two hours and pressing

the power swith for a long time.

When installing from sp63224.exe and earlier versions, the message about missing TrueAPI(x86) were coming up. So I tried repair of ATTrueApiMin64.msi. The process ran, but it didn't help.

Then I tried installing Simplepass from ...\{EA9C6D43-3B3D-4BED-B565-00BBECAEE953}\HP SimplePass 2011.msi.

This had the following result:

*  no more missing TrueAPI(x86).

*  Simplepass was visible from the Start button (bottom left).

*  When started, the startup screen comes up, announcing Simplepass 2011, Version 5.3.

BUT IT DISAPPEARS AFTER A FEW SECONDS AND NOTHING HAPPENS.

(This screen is produced by C:\Program Files(x86)\HP Simplepass\Splash.exe).

*  None of the executables in C:\Program Files(x86)\HP Simplepass produces any results.

I tried to repair by starting HP SimplePass 2011.msi. The proces "repair" ran, but didn't improve things.

Still, Simplepass can not be opened and it does not pop up in IE10 or Firefox when it should.

HP Pavilion dv7-6b70ed

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Please help?

HP Recommended

Hello BenMcDui,

I looked over your troubleshooting steps and would like to offer some additional help with this simplepass problem. Please click here for more information. Once that part is completed can you click on this link go to section 10 and see if your able to add a website to see if it works for you. I will look into this further for you while your doing that.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Dear Chrizzy,

thanks for looking into this.

I followed the recommended steps:
*  removed Simplepass 2011 through the Control Panel, Programs and Features.
*  ran sp61399.exe. The message asbout missing TrueAPI(x86) appears, installation fails.

Then I did the following:
* ran C:\Program Data\{EA9C6D43-3B3D-4BED-B565-00BBECAEE953}\Simplepass 2011.msi. It installs and if I click on it it shows the splash screen, nothing further happens.
* ran C:\Program Data\{EA9C6D43-3B3D-4BED-B565-00BBECAEE953}\Simplepass 2011.msi again, choosing "repair". No improvement.
* stopped the computer, removed power and battery, pressed the i/o button for a long time, started again. No improvement.

Summarizing: still only the splash screen, no automatic pop up in IE or Firefox.

Note: Following your instruction means downgrading from sp63224.exe to sp61399.exe. I have no problem with that, if it works.

Note: the link "HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader (Windows 7, Vista)" recommends to update the BIOS. This is what I did through the HP Support Assistant installed on my notebook. I forgot to mention this in my first report. (Afterwards, Bluetooth stopped working (sigh) but I will not go down that path for the moment; one thing at a time.)

Note: With CCleaner, I removed all AthenTec related, reported as redundant keys from the registry.

Hope you can help me any further?

HP Recommended

Hello BenMcDui,

I'm sorry that didn't work, I looked into this further and would like to pass on this information for trial to see if it helps. Please click on this link and follow the directions for the symantec validation and ID protection service (VIP) access SDK.

Then please click here to enable the HP SimplePass Identity Protection 2011 Software.

You will probably have to do a full recovery to get back to when it was working. Please click
here for how to use system recovery, factory reset and Minimized image recovery options.

HP Recommended

Hi Chrizzy,

*  installed the symantec validation and ID protection service (sp56978.exe) and rebooted as suggested.
*  removed the existing Simplepass.
*  tried to install the recommended version of Simplepass (sp56487.exe) but got the missing TrueAPI message.
*  installed from Simplepass 2011.msi.

Again, only the splash window (5.3)  came up for a second or two.

*  ran Simplepass 2011.msi with the option "repair". No improvement.
*  ran sp63224.exe right across it. "Missing TrueAPI(x64)".

It seems to be so simple, we are so close.....

HP Recommended

Hello BenMcDui,

Yes we are I feel it too and this has been a challenge but we will get to the bottom of it.

Just to make sure we are clear on it all so far you have installed the driver first, rebooted, then installed the software portion right? I am just reading over all of the steps again in case we missed something.

HP Recommended

Hi Chrizzy,

just to be sure I did it all over:

first the driver, then the software.

The results are the same, no success...

Thanks,

BenMcDui

HP Recommended

Hello BenMcDui,

So after some research for you I found a link that addresses the "Missing TrueAPI(x64)" issue please click here and follow the directions from Dragon-Fur.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.