Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Probook 640 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'd like to install an M.2 SSD as a boot drive in my Probook 640 but I can't find the slot. Does anyone have an schematics or pictures to share? The only open slot I can find is over the WLAN module (I believe it is used for the optional broadband module). The socket does not seem compatible with an M.2 drive.

Thanks!

G.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE:  I just installed a MyDigital 42mm M.2 SSD in that slot. After activating the M.2 option in BIOS, the card is recognized instantly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi! Here Is The Manuel To Take Apart The PC

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04030196-2.pdf

Go To Pages 66-69 For On How To Take The HDD Out Of There

Yes You Can Put A SSD In There As Long As The SSD Is 2.5inch Drive Size

Good Luck!

Regards: 1029rjmenvy17t

Please 'KUDO' If You Like for Thumbs Up and 'Accept As Solution' If This Fixed Your Problem

To Help Other People Find This and Help Them Fix the Same or Similar Problems

HP Recommended

Sorry. These instructions are for replacing the HDD for a SATA SSD, not for the installation of an M.2 SSD. I may need to clarify: in the EliteBooks, there is an open M.2 socket where you can install an M.2 SSD as a second drive. I've done it, it works just fine. My question is if a second hard drive can be installed in the ProBook without removing/replacing the CD drive.  As I said above, I can't find an obvious place where to connect the second drive, unless the interface of the broadband module can be used for such a purpose.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi! Okay

You Can Only Put A 2.5inch SSD Or 2.5inch HDD And Or mSATA SSD (M.2 SSD)

In This PC

Good Luck!

Please 'KUDO' If You Like for Thumbs Up and 'Accept As Solution' If This Fixed Your Problem

HP Recommended
I don't understand your reply. Do you mean I can install a 2.5 in drive AND an M.2 SSD? If so, where is the M.2 mSATA socket? I can't find it.
HP Recommended

Hi! Yes You Can install A M.2 SSD Along Side Ether A 2.5inch SSD Or HDD

However You Only Need One Drive

Now In The Manuel It Will Tell You How To Install It But With No Pics So Just Look Around The Area Of The HDD For A Socket That Looks Like A M.2 SSD. Now You Might Even Have To Take Apart The PC Because The Slot Might Be On The Top Of The Motherboard Or On The Bottom Under The Base

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na​-c04030196-2.pdf

Go To Pages 79 For On How To Take The M.2 SSD Out Of There And Revise For Install

Here Is A Pic Of Were I Believe It Is:  It Is Circled In Blue

http://i.imgur.com/99ZtCHa.png

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

That is the WWAN module, which is not installed in my computer. I'm going to give it a shot and tell you later.

HP Recommended

Okay You Might Have To Take Apart The PC

DO Not Put In That Port It Could Damage The PC

HP Recommended

It puzzles me that you are giving me advice when you obviously know less about the system than I do. I have already upgraded to an i7-4610, replaced the HDD with a Samsung 850 SSD, replaced the Intel WLAN with a faster Broadcom module, and re-installed the operating systems to make it a triple-boot (Win7, Ubuntu, OS X 10.10).  

I was hoping to find someone who had actually attempted or done this upgrade.

HP Recommended

UPDATE:  I just installed a MyDigital 42mm M.2 SSD in that slot. After activating the M.2 option in BIOS, the card is recognized instantly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.