Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-ac019na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My laptop is 2 years old and within the last 2 months, low battery notifications have stopped popping up, and the laptop shuts down without warning. Within the last week it has been shutting off after 10-20 minutes after I take the power chord out, and the battery never goes above 98% juice. 

There's no error messages, and when I looked at the power options, it was set to turn off on 7%, as it has been since I bought it.

I haven't updated anything on the laptop since then (it's a laptop purely for Word documents but occasionally I used it for streaming TV when my TV broke) and nothing else out of the ordinary has been happening to it. 

I'm incredibly bad at figuring this sort of stuff out by myself, and Googlling it only gave me more confusion because it seems there could be a number of things wrong.

No troubleshooting seems to have helped or given an adequate reason for it, so I'm at a loss at the moment. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings @HPJo17

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your computer is shutting down before the battery drains.

Don't worry, I will be glad to help. 

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Recommend you run HP Support Assistant to make sure all the drivers are updated, especially BIOS and chipset. Click here

Once all the drivers are updated. 

Boot the computer to system diagnostics and run a battery test on your computer. 

To enter system diagnostics. Turn the computer On and keep tapping F2 repeatedly on startup. Click here for assistance. 

If the battery test fails, please replace the battery on your computer. 

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.