Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 p248ne
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Hello, So this started happening when I was moving the laptop one day (when it was on) the fan suddenly got very loud and the whole laptop was vibrating, it sounded like the fan was touching something while it spins which made the vibrating and loud noise, it sounds exactly like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkCLubSukzI I fixed it by restarting the laptop (sleep works too, seems like whatever makes the fan stop) but now it randomly happens, the normal noise of the fan has changed and it sometimes gets that loud again as showed in the video and then I have to restart to fix it. I've tried to open the laptop but some screws were too hard and stuck lol so I gave up. and I've cleaned the vents from dust.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @amro2

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

You had mentioned that you are hearing a loud noise and that the HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p248ne is vibrating when this occurs. You believed that it sounded like the fan was touching something while spinning. I also watched the YouTube video that you had provided for me. That was very helpful! Thank you. 

One of the possibilities may be that the fan needs to be cleaned. 

Even though you had not stated that you are not having issues with heat, there is a document called Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly. This document has troubleshooting steps that may help. I realize that you are not having an issue more intermittently than you on a regular basis, however, the steps in the document may lead you in the proper direction for a resolution. 

I am going to provide you with the HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PCHP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide for your reference. 

If none of the steps above help, and the Notebook is still in warranty (please use the Warranty Checker if you are unsure), I would not suggest opening up the Notebook. Although opening up the notebook should not void your warranty, if any damage is caused during the process without contacting HP Support then it can void your warranty. If you are still in warranty, please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

If any of this information helps you to a resolution, please share with others by marking the appropriate post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

Thank you for joining in. 

Have a wonderful day! 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey @amro2

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

You had mentioned that you are hearing a loud noise and that the HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p248ne is vibrating when this occurs. You believed that it sounded like the fan was touching something while spinning. I also watched the YouTube video that you had provided for me. That was very helpful! Thank you. 

One of the possibilities may be that the fan needs to be cleaned. 

Even though you had not stated that you are not having issues with heat, there is a document called Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly. This document has troubleshooting steps that may help. I realize that you are not having an issue more intermittently than you on a regular basis, however, the steps in the document may lead you in the proper direction for a resolution. 

I am going to provide you with the HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PCHP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide for your reference. 

If none of the steps above help, and the Notebook is still in warranty (please use the Warranty Checker if you are unsure), I would not suggest opening up the Notebook. Although opening up the notebook should not void your warranty, if any damage is caused during the process without contacting HP Support then it can void your warranty. If you are still in warranty, please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

If any of this information helps you to a resolution, please share with others by marking the appropriate post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

Thank you for joining in. 

Have a wonderful day! 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hey

Thanks for your respond, I have had overhaeating issues before this started happening, I also made a thread about it here http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Pavilion-15-p248ne-heating-issu... the CPU temps would get to 100c (while playing games) and the only thing that helped was setting the maxmimum processor state to 98%

I've recently updated the BIOS and the temps are still the same, and the warranty has expired.

for the software I don't have much stuff just an antivirus and drivers from HP (rapid storage, safe guard..) and my CPU doesnt get used up when idle.

a couple of guys on youtube (including the video I posted) had solved the fan problem by opening the laptop and applying something greasy (a lubricant) to the fan to make it spin smoothly and remove the loud noise and vibration, should I do this too?

HP Recommended

Hey, 

You had said: 

a couple of guys on youtube (including the video I posted) had solved the fan problem by opening the laptop and applying something greasy (a lubricant) to the fan to make it spin smoothly and remove the loud noise and vibration, should I do this too?

I would highly recommend taking the Notebook to a local repair facility. You had mentioned having an issue with taking the screws out because they are stuck and to put the lubrication into the Notebook would require the Notebook to be opened up. In this case, personally, it would be best to take it to a local repair shop, they will have the lubricant for the fan, and they will be able to tell you if something is wrong internally. 

Hope this helps! 

Take care! 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

A new fan is less than $20. To save $20 you are going to put something greasy into a fan spinning inside your laptop at 1500-2500 rpm and throwing little fine particles of whatever it is inside your laptop? I don't think so. Take it to somebody who can disassemble it and be prepared to pay for a new fan. 

HP Recommended

Okay so.. this is weird.

I was desperately cleaning the vents before using my laptop today, and the weird fan noise is gone? it's back as it was before. I've played CS GO for a bit to see if how it sounds on high cpu load and it gets normally loud without the noise sounding like its touching something, even the temps are lower now! :S

TY for the help, I'll keep the vents clean. I thought they were clean before o_O sorry!

HP Recommended

Hi amro2, 

I am glad that the Notebook has started working for you! Sometimes a good cleaning/dusting is all it needs. 🙂 

Could you please mark my first post as an Accepted Solution so that others can find out what worked for you? This will allow others to follow the document to clean out their Notebooks, and hopefully help resolve the issue they are experiencing as well. 

To say thanks, please use the Thumbs up button. 

Wishing you the best 🙂

Take care! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Oh no! 

I still highly recommend that you take the Notebook to a local repair facility. They should have lubricant for the fan if that is the issue. If not, they will be able to tell you if a wire possibly came loose, if you need to replace the fan etc. It would be your best approach to rectify the situation. Once they open it up, they should be able to tell you exactly what is causing the issue. 

Hope that helps! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Hellow! I have purchased a new hp laptop one week ago but its fan spins all the time and it is noisy and give out a sound like the fan is touching a case! And the whole computer vibrates what is the problem?
HP Recommended

The following is my recent fixed case for a HP Envy dv6 notebook, purchased in 2013. This had generated noise since 3 years after purchase, but became quite noisy recently, after 6 years.

1. First thought was due to dust buildups or a fan problem. Arranged to get a spare fan, for just in case.
  2. Carefully disassembled the notebook for the first time, referring to video and YouTube examples (Critical steps, need slow movement, detail check and confirmation with flash light etc).
  3. Removed the fan by loosening 4 tiny screws from a thin plate (steel?)  to prepare for replacement (At his point, I didn't remove the heat sink assembly from the mother board. If removed, heat conducting seal is neccessary).
  4. Accidentally touched the thin plate, and found an edge of this plate touches the heat transmit tube (copper) and generates clicking sound. Filed off some material from this plate and get about 0.5 to 1.0mm clearance. -> Clearance problem.
  5. Re-assembled and no noisy sound.
  6. I assume this clearance problem may not be limited to my model. I never had similar problems on other manufacturer's laptops purchased in the past.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.