Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Well I will hope for the best, but thier track record is abysmal

Respectfully

Cloud_1

HP Recommended

No answer from HP technicians?

HP Recommended

Not one peep from anyone to even say they wont help with this. They know they can fix it but choose not to  thanks to the almighty dollar. Thanks for the greed HP.....oh wait their sales of personal computers is down.....doh wonder why?

HP Recommended

Hi,

No one contacted me. The HP guy lied me.

But maybe I myself have discovered the solution.

On the computer, it's a M.2 SATA interface.

The Samsung 950 Series, it's a M.2 PCI interface.

In this video, you can see, the guy installed an M.2 SSD SATA interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJH1CuFnzWo

Here are the pictures that differentiates the different M.2 interfaces:

Samsung950ProCar_678x452.jpg

Intel-535-Series-SSD-1-600x336.jpg

Somebody tried to install the second type on his computer ?

HP Recommended

Yes Yumium, if you haven't tried an M.2 SATA SSD then it may work for you.

The particular model or models that everyone else has been talking about previously are ones where the M.2 Interface is also SATA, it is just disabled on the Motherboard and there is no way to enable it through the BIOS.

So, if you are unlucky enough to have one of the models that has the port disabled and no BIOS setting to control it, this still won't help you.

HP Recommended
Dude, I hate to burst your bubble, but many people have tried installing M.2 drives or cards, and they could not get them to work on certain models of the Envy 17t. It apparently is somehow disabled in the BIOS (why HP would do that is just BEYOND me!) and that part of the BIOS is not accessible by the end-user. Without some type of hacking skills/knowledge, there's just no possible way to enable that M.2 slot on certain models.

I, on the other hand, have an Envy 17t-n000, and I installed a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 drive in my laptop. It works perfectly, albeit at a slower SATA interface speed (I use it as my Windows C:\ or boot drive). I also installed a Samsung 1GB 2.5" SSD in the primary HDD bay, and that also functions perfectly. There is a secondary HDD bay in that laptop (there is no caddy; no connector, and no ribbon cable, if the laptop was not originally built by HP with a 2nd HDD, but I got all those parts in a kit, from info on this forum), and I intend to buy another 1GB (or, even a 2GB) 2.5" SSD, and install it in that 2nd HDD bay.

At this point, I'm pretty sure your only options are to get another model HP laptop that's known to have a working M.2 slot, or buy another brand of laptop that supports M.2 drives (some other laptops use PCIe, instead of SATA, and that is much quicker - I originally bought an Acer V17 Nitro laptop that supported M.2 PCIe, but returned it and bought my HP, because the Acer had Windows 10, and I couldn't downgrade it due to there being no drivers in existence for its sound card with Windows 7).

Sorry. I hope you find a satisfactory solution to your issue (I just don't think it's going to come from HP).

Dennis
HP Recommended
LOL, what he said, above me! 🙂
HP Recommended

I not sure this relates but it may. I have two HP 15-p02=30nr Laptops. I replaced a dead hdd in one with a Trancsend 240, just  took it out of a Macbook pro and stuck it in the Hp. The HP recovery saw the drive as needing repair and did just that and the laptop came out fine.  Later I realized 240 gigs was to small so I purchased a brand new Kingstom v300 ssd now 480 gig. Just opened it and stuck in the HP and Recovery Manager fixed it right up.  Now that laptop functions so well I purchased another KIngston identical to the other but seller refurbished.  Stuck it in the other idenrtical HP and ran into all sorts of blocks, locks and error messages. The recovery file cannot be opened, the boot drive is locked please cancel and unlock and try again.  Nothing would work. The Hp recovery manager could not reset, restore nor repair.  After about 9 hours of frustration I replaced the original Hddd.  I took the Kingston SSd and connected it to the HP via Usb and found a volume labeled Z containing 138 mysterious items that could not be touched or changed and access was denied.  Does anyone Know why the first HP took to the Kingston like a duck to a pond while the second couldn't do anything with one?

HP Recommended

The HP model is  15- p030nr

HP Recommended

The HP model is  15- p030nr I have two and one took well a Kingston v300 ssd now 480 while the second could not do anything with one. I just installed the drives and let Hp recovery do it's thing. The second device was unable to do that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.