Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy M7-n109dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Issue: The laptop does not recognize the installed drive.

I have tried two different SSDs in my laptop (Envy M7-n109dx), and neither of them were able to be "seen." The SSDs that I've tried to get working are the Samsung Evo 850 M.2 250GB & 500GB. The physical installation goes fine, but it seems as though the hard drive is not able to be seen in the BIOS (the latest version has been installed). In fact, there are no hard drive or any advanced settings whatsoever. What am I missing here? 

169 REPLIES 169
HP Recommended

@soundprizm wrote:

Issue: The laptop does not recognize the installed drive.

I have tried two different SSDs in my laptop (Envy M7-n109dx), and neither of them were able to be "seen." The SSDs that I've tried to get working are the Samsung Evo 850 M.2 250GB & 500GB. The physical installation goes fine, but it seems as though the hard drive is not able to be seen in the BIOS (the latest version has been installed). In fact, there are no hard drive or any advanced settings whatsoever. What am I missing here? 

Hi,

Are you sure that the laptop supports M.2 connection? That slot is most likely not a M.2 one but a simple mSATA. You can use M.2 drives ONLY in M.2 slots.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply,
Yes, I'm sure it is an M.2. The ssd fits in the slot, and there is a white rectangular marking on the motherboard that is the same exact dimensions as the ssd card.
HP Recommended

The Service Manual:

Manual

definitely says an M.2 mSSD is supported as storage if it is 128 gig or larger. It is also SATA, not PCIe M.2 but that is what you are trying to install. You are the second person that has had this issue that I have seen. The Manual is decidedly unhelpful. Did you in fact have to remove the motherboard? Someone else posted actual pictures and it showed the M.2 slot right next to the hard drive. Try removing the SATA hard drive and see if the system sees your M.2 drive is about all I can suggest from a distance here. It should work. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

The Service Manual:

Manual

definitely says an M.2 mSSD is supported as storage if it is 128 gig or larger. It is also SATA, not PCIe M.2 but that is what you are trying to install. You are the second person that has had this issue that I have seen. The Manual is decidedly unhelpful. Did you in fact have to remove the motherboard? Someone else posted actual pictures and it showed the M.2 slot right next to the hard drive. Try removing the SATA hard drive and see if the system sees your M.2 drive is about all I can suggest from a distance here. It should work. 

Thanks for the reply, Huffer!

Yes, it is definitely an M.2 slot, and I've been through all the manuals (including the maintenance and service manual). The M.2 slot is exactly where you stated it was--next to the installed 2.5" HDD. I did remove the factory HDD to see if the M.2 SDD would take its spot, but no go. Since I know at least one of the SDDs I tried were good, I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to enable something that is hidden within the BIOS. I'm assuming that since HP didn't ship the laptop with an M.2, it is a "hidden" BIOS feature--I could be wrong though. I did a little research on the models that actually ship with an M.2 drive, and they seem to use the same BIOS file (named the same that is). Any other suggestions?

*side note: did that 2nd person ever get his or her's working?

HP Recommended

No he gave up in disgust as I recall. 

HP Recommended

LOL! Must... not... give... in!

HP Recommended

I will elevate this to the HP Brain Trust and see if anybody working a little closer to the source can help. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

I will elevate this to the HP Brain Trust and see if anybody working a little closer to the source can help. 

Much obliged!

HP Recommended

@soundprizm

Hi,

Perhaps the following SSD would be a better choice as it it used in a similar model laptop. However, I do have another suspicion.

axns381e-256GM-B

It might be worth the time to boot up a W10 installation media in UEFI mode and see it the SSD is detected.  Please post your results.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.