Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi

I had the same issue. I have not read all this thread.

Here is what happened and what I did.

1. Installed M.2 SSD in my Hp Envy 15-aq160sa laptop in addition to the existing 1tb 2.5" hard drive. So now have 2 hard drives in this laptop.

2. Rebooted - windows 10 did not detect ssd. Disappointed. Went into computer management in win10 (start, right clicked computer, and selected manage - when box showed clicked into disk management). It only showed one drive (the non-ssd harddrive).

3. Went on HP support site and updated bios (required restart). There was a bios update dated Jan 2017.

4. Restarted laptop. In windows 10 it still showed one hard drive.

5. Went back into computer management in windows 10  (then disk management) and a box popped up to initialise the SSD. Once I had initialed the drive and did a quick format - it worked!!

Hope this helps someone.

Alistair

HP Recommended

Hi

Just a final update.

I managed to get my hp envy to work perfectly. I am now using the very fast Intel PCEI 2280 SSD drive to boot the laptop and using the 1tb as a data drive.

Here are the final steps I did.

The original plan was just to do a backup of the 1tb drive (whole disk) and then restore that on the SSD but it did not work saying the target drive as too small.

1. Using acronis backup (business edition) I created a backup image of all partitions of 1tb disk including mbr.

2. Using acronis - I created the same partions types and sizes on the new SSD ie created fat32 and ntfs partitions to match those on the backup created in step one.

3. Using acronis I restored the backup into each parition so that it matched what was on the original hard drive.

4. I removed the 1tb built in drive and tested bootup. It worked - very fast - boot up now 4 seconds.

5. I formatted the 1tb as a new drive and reinstalled.

So I now have a 256gb fast bootup  and also a separate 1tb data drive.

Good luck 🙂

HP Recommended

You can accomplish essentially the same thing by using the "proportional clone" feature in Acronis. It will shrink each partition the same amount and copy the contents of each to the shrunken clone of it. If any partition has more data than the shrunken-down clone will hold, then you have to do a manual partition and copy contents one by one to each new partition as stated here. Thanks for the update.  

HP Recommended

Which model of HP-Envy are you using?  If someone is using Linux, how can the know the key type (M 0r B) of their M.2 Slot?  Is that SSD thats working for you B-type or M-Type, i checked it out but they dont mention that anywhere... will check on its pics later,,

HP Recommended

Hello there,

I recently bought a Probook 450 G4 and guess what, Windows won't show my M.2 SSD, however the BIOS detects it, it's an ADATA Premier P550 240 GB. I started a new thread yesterday but I cant' find it anywhere ! I think someone deleted it from the forum as it was there yesterday and has been approved !

I updated the BIOS to the latest version and still with the same issue !

Shame on you HP, I should have bought an ASUS from the beginning.

HP Recommended

Are you saying the Windows installer does not see it? Or running Windows? Where did you look for it? Just Windows Explorer or Disk Management? If the BIOS sees it I am not sure how Windows cannot. May need to be initialized, formatted, etc. They do come blank. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks or your reply, I know that they come blank and need to be formatted but I can't find it anywhere in windows !

see attached pleaseDISKPART.jpgDisk Manager.jpg

HP Recommended

That answers that. But you see it in the BIOS? 

HP Recommended

Yes I see it in the BIOS, I even could run a hard disk check and it said "PASSED"!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Here is what I get in the BIOS:

Optimized-IMG_20170420_192105[1].jpgOptimized-IMG_20170420_191812[1].jpgOptimized-IMG_20170420_191649_1[1].jpgOptimized-IMG_20170420_192251[1].jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.