Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

Since last weekend, I have an irritating problem with my HP 15 Notebook. Bought it two years ago and upgraded to Windows 10 a year ago.

First, my touchpad started to not work properly. It "freezes" and I can't use it until I click the ESC key, but it doesn't last and "freezes" again a few seconds later. Then, every time I open a window where there is a text box (the start menu, Edge browser, Control Panel, etc...), the number 5 is entered automatically and continuously just as if the 5 key was stuck. I did a quick check and the 5 key do not seem physically stuck.

Yesterday, I restored the system to factory settings so I came back to Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10. Everything seemed to work well but this morning, the problem was back. Is there something I can do? Is the problem caused by Windows 10 or the computer? Should I restore it back to Windows 8.1? Everything was working fine til last weekend, I don't konw what could've happened.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community @gouch3, 

I understand that you are having an issue with the keyboard and touchpad on your HP 15 Notebook PC.

Have you tried to use an external Keyboard and mouse at all?

Have you tried going into Safe Mode to see if the problems persist in there?

Have you tried Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset?

Have you done a hardware test?

Have you updated all of your drivers? 

gouch3 wrote:

... Is there something I can do? Is the problem caused by Windows 10 or the computer? Should I restore it back to Windows 8.1? Everything was working fine til last weekend, I don't konw what could've happened.

It could be a driver issue to be able to look into that for you, I would need your Model Number. I wish I could give you a yes or no answer, but at this point without the results from the troubleshooting and the model number, it is hard for me to say. 

I can say that if everything is working in Windows 8.1 without an issue, the driver troubleshooting is a great place to start. Please try the follow troubleshooting steps for both the keyboard and touchpad:  

• Start
  • Search for Device Manager
  • Open Device Manager from the Search results.
  • Click View
  • Show Hidden Devices.
  • Click the arrow next to Keyboards.
  • Right-click the keyboard device name.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
  • Restart the notebook twice. 

Touchpad:  

• Type in Search, "Device Manager", 
  • Click On Device Manager,
  • Expand Mice and other pointing devices,  
  • Right Click on the TouchPad, 
  • Click on Uninstall,
  • Restart the Notebook twice, 
  • Reinstall the TouchPad Adapter.

I found a troubleshooting document for you to try also called Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting. Please make sure to follow the steps in this document. 

The best document I have for TouchPad issues is the Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad document. 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers that need updating.

This is a great question other customers may also be wondering about. When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show you appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.Could you please also provide me with your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community @gouch3, 

I understand that you are having an issue with the keyboard and touchpad on your HP 15 Notebook PC.

Have you tried to use an external Keyboard and mouse at all?

Have you tried going into Safe Mode to see if the problems persist in there?

Have you tried Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset?

Have you done a hardware test?

Have you updated all of your drivers? 

gouch3 wrote:

... Is there something I can do? Is the problem caused by Windows 10 or the computer? Should I restore it back to Windows 8.1? Everything was working fine til last weekend, I don't konw what could've happened.

It could be a driver issue to be able to look into that for you, I would need your Model Number. I wish I could give you a yes or no answer, but at this point without the results from the troubleshooting and the model number, it is hard for me to say. 

I can say that if everything is working in Windows 8.1 without an issue, the driver troubleshooting is a great place to start. Please try the follow troubleshooting steps for both the keyboard and touchpad:  

• Start
  • Click View
  • Show Hidden Devices.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
  • Restart the notebook twice. 

Touchpad:  

• Type in Search, "Device Manager", 
  • Click On Device Manager,
  • Expand Mice and other pointing devices,  
  • Right Click on the TouchPad, 
  • Click on Uninstall,
  • Restart the Notebook twice, 
  • Reinstall the TouchPad Adapter.

I found a troubleshooting document for you to try also called Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting. Please make sure to follow the steps in this document. 

The best document I have for TouchPad issues is the Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad document. 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers that need updating.

This is a great question other customers may also be wondering about. When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show you appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.Could you please also provide me with your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Thank you!

So far, I've done a factory settings reset and went back to Windows 8.1 to check if the problem would happen and it did. Then, upgraded to Windows 10 and updated the drivers. For a while, I thought that everything was fixed but I'm not entirely sure it is. The touchpad works on and off and the stucked 5 key problem came back.

As mentionned in the keyboard troubleshoot, I removed the 5 key to clean the key and the key slot. I also discovered that it only happens when the num lock key is on, so that's probably just a problem with my 5 key on my numeric keypad.

I'll make do with that for now unless you come up with something that could help. If I notice something, I'll post it.

Model : HP 15 Notebook PC

Product number : F9J03UA#ABL

Thanks a lot for your help! :generic:

HP Recommended

Hey gouch3, 

Thank you for responding and Accepting the Solution! If the 5 key is only working when the Num Lock button is not on, then it could very well be an issue with the 5 key in the Number pad instead. Did you try to take that one apart and clean it also? Does it appear to be stuck at all? 

When you push the Num Lock button, that turns that specific keypad on and off so it could be that the 5 key in the Number pad is the one that is not functioning correctly. 

Did you try the following steps? 

• Start
  • Click View
  • Show Hidden Devices.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • Restart the notebook twice

If it is a problem with the keyboard itself and not a stuck key on the Number pad, then it the uninstall should reset everything software wise. 

Please let me know how this goes. 🙂

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Unfortunately it didn't change anything. Seems like the problem comes from the numeric keyboard itself even though the key doesn't seem stuck. The problem is probably underneath the keypad.

Thanks for your help!:smileywink:

HP Recommended

Hey!

No problem! I am always happy to help. However, I am sad to hear that the steps did not work for that specific key, but you might be right, it could be under the number pad. I would suggest giving your keyboard a good cleaning with compressed air. That should get anything that may be under the keys out. 

Did you try to take that key apart and clean it also?

Did you happen to know your Warranty status? If not, you can use the Product Warranty Checker

I thought that you might be interested in the Maintenance and Service Guide if you want to replace the keyboard. You will see in the Component replacement procedures chapter on page 35 there are spare part numbers for keyboards and a full step by step on how to remove the keyboard. 

I hope that this helps! 

Take care 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.