Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp envy j100 quad edition
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Hi, I've noticed over the past couple months that my laptop's hinge on the left side was coming apart, which was concerning. I just recently realized that this was not my fault, but instead that 2 screws on the bottom Near the hinges are actually missing. I don't know if they have always been in there or if they fell out, but according to these forums, replacement screws won't work because the part they screw into is broken or something? My warranty has been up for awhile and I don't really know what to do about this to get it fixed? Any help would be great!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is a 15t-j000 series laptop which lets me find the right Service Manual, at least. 

15t-j000 Manual

You need this part:

(2) Display hinges (includes left and right hinges, left and right hinge covers, and left
and right hinge brackets    720548-001

Page 55 shows that the screws are Phillips PM 2.5 x 5.5 screws

You can buy 15 of the screws for $1.86 here:

See page 59 forward for removing and accessing inside the screen panel to replace the hinges. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

First we need the full model number. Is it a 15 inch or 17 inch Envy? Do you have any plastic damage? If not replacing the hinges and the screws should do the trick and we can find those parts for you if we know the precise model. 

HP Recommended

I don't know exactly where to find the model number? I have the product number, which is C8P47AV. It is a 15 inch HP envy touchsmart j100 quad edition. There is not plastic damage I dont think, but near the back left, you can visibly see the top separated from the bottom and the left hinge is actually sunken in compared to the right side which appears to be relatively normal at the moment.

HP Recommended

It is a 15t-j000 series laptop which lets me find the right Service Manual, at least. 

15t-j000 Manual

You need this part:

(2) Display hinges (includes left and right hinges, left and right hinge covers, and left
and right hinge brackets    720548-001

Page 55 shows that the screws are Phillips PM 2.5 x 5.5 screws

You can buy 15 of the screws for $1.86 here:

See page 59 forward for removing and accessing inside the screen panel to replace the hinges. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  
HP Recommended

laptop while openare you sure that those will fix this?laptop open, hinge sunken in

I just want to be sure before I spend any money. Sorry for the late reply, Ive been really busy lately.

HP Recommended

That is consistent with bad hinges. Replacing the hinges and screws will repair it. 

HP Recommended

Hi Hp list the screws  as

PM2.5×5.5, the correct size is m2.5x5mm( hp include the head thickness in the measurenment)

best place to get screws is from www.laptopscrewsdirect.com they sell screws for all laptops.
they are located in the UK but offer free shipping to anywhere in the world.

they even do mixed packs of different sizes just in case your not sure what you require.

if you are unsure just email or call them, they are very helpful.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem of one of the left screw is loose and hinges are broken, because of hat the latch to close and open the door is coming out.  Below are the model, can you suggest the solution and where I can get the parts.

Product Number : E1P04AV   Description : HP ENVY 15T-J100 QUAD EDITION CTO NOTEBOOK PC (ENERGY STAR) RoHS Status : COMPLY_2.07

HP Recommended

@Sitalats

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.