Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
13-4003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have read, in other posts, that Spectre x360 users have encountered this same issue.  Last week I noticed that, despite the machine being plugged in, no charging light was on and Windows did not indicate the machine was plugged in.  I typically get about 4 to 6 hours of battery life so I don't believe there is a problem with my battery.  I have tried the HP recommended Hard reset - no effect.  I have tried a different HP AC power adapter (HP part No 854054-001) - no effect.  I have inspected the power port on the notebook and it does not appear to be damaged.  There is no smell of burnt components.  The machine was running flawlessly, including after I realized the battery wasn't charging.  

I have purchased many HP laptops and this is the first time I feel the laptop has failed before it reached end of life.  I would like to know my support options and whether or not HP can assist me.  The warranty on this machine has expired.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ReluctantTechie

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I am understanding it is now dead entirely? 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try performing BIOS Recovery.

Step 1

Unplug the charger

Press and hold down power button for 15 secs

Plug the charger back in

Step 2

Press and hold down Windows button and letter B at the same time. Press and hold down power button for 4 secs then release the power button afterwards but keep on pressing on holding down the W+B

Wait for a couple of seconds until light shows up on your computer screen.

If not the move to the next step..

Step 3

Same process as Step 2 but this time its going to be W+V

Step 4

Just repeat the process of Step 2

If you are still not getting any luck from this steps. The mobo probably is the culprit. You could still call HP for out of warranty cases. I think its $59 per incident. Please post back with the status

Regards,

ichi

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended
Yes, when trying to power it on for diagnostics this morning it failed to start.
HP Recommended
I attempted the bios reset with no success. There are no lights coming on at all and no indication the computer tried to start.
HP Recommended

Odds are it is a motherboard failure. I have attempted to escalate to HP employes who would contact you through the PM feature of the Forum after posting here. Good luck. If that does not work and you want to explore self-help options post back but the parts alone make the cost a bit prohibitive as compared to a new laptop. 

HP Recommended

@ReluctantTechie

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I appreciate the quick responses and effort. Thank you all.
HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Please advise.

HP Recommended

My 1yr Old HP Spectre won’t charge or start. No lights will come on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.