Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Well, once I get mine delivered, I'll have to take it apart and check for a ram slot..That would be really nice if it is upgradable.
HP Recommended

Hey, tsimkus!  I'm glad you started this thread.  It's turned into a great way to share information about the HP Split x2.

Regarding the i3 version you purchased from Best Buy, that is model 13-m010dx x2.  Its service and repair manual can be found here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03958968.pdf

This model allows you to upgrade the RAM to 8GB.  It also allows you to upgrade the HDD.  It does NOT require the 5mm drive; this model wiil accept a 7mm HDD, from which there are many to choose.  Therefore, you should be all good to upgrade RAM and/or HDD now.

@Manyarg

Unless there are more than one version of the HP Split x2 model 13-g110dx from Best Buy, the RAM cannot be upgraded.  Regarding Crucial's RAM recommendation, I believe they are simply mistaken.  Concerning the eBay seller, s/he may have confused the models.

However, I have certainly been known to be wrong on many more than one occasion.  I hope I am now so you and others will benefit.  Please let us all know the outcome as this whole process is quite intriguing.

HP Recommended
I found the seller on e-bay. I send a note asking to verify the model number. In the description is says it was opened by their IT guy to upgrade the ram... If I hear back, I'll post the reply..
HP Recommended

I, too, found the eBay seller.  I could not find where they stated they purchased it from Best Buy.  I tried to ask them what the product number is, noted on the edge of the box.  However, they/ebay would not allow me to ask a question.

ebay message.JPG

If you can't expand it, it essentially says that due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to my specific question right now.  Indeed, I did not even get to ask my question.  Also, there are no questions/answers posted on the page.

So, I guess we'll never know unless the seller decides to answer questions or someone buys it and posts their findings here.

HP Recommended
I could not "ask a question" on the product page either.
I sent them a personal message via ebay mail instead...
Hopefully he will answer my question
HP Recommended
If you goto hp store and look at the hp split x 2 options tobuy one. T hey have the model 13t-G100 x2 they list it as an ultra book. When you costumize and buy, you can not get it with 8g ram. The best buy model 13-G110dx is their ultrabook model I'd assume, so who wants to call hp and ask about the ability to upgrade the 13t-g100 X2. It could be the one that's selling on ebay.
HP Recommended

From Hp support:  I have checked all my resources. I am sorry to inform you that the maximum supported RAM for the Hp split 13t-g100 x 2 pc is only 4GB, you wouldn't be able to upgrade it to 8 GB.

Then This: If you would like a higher RAM, you may consider getting the HP Split 13t-m100 x2 PC instead.

HP Recommended

"13-m010dx x2" as a model number for my Split X2, with i3, purchased from Best Buy.  It seems to me that there is a difference between "m" and "g" as a prefix, with the first digit as "0" or "1", and with a "dx" suffix.  I am guessing the digit is for "i3" versus "i5", and that Best Buy models have the "dx" suffix.  What does the "m" and "g" mean at the beginning?

It is difficult to believe that HP would not have foreseen the public wanting the "i5" version from Best Buy to be upgraded to 8GB RAM.  Wow.  Mistake by them.

I am not a power user, so the "i3" is plenty good for me, I think.  Haven't had a "burp" yet, although I just experienced my first example of the touchpad and touchscreen not playing well together (???).  Actually it depended on the application - both worked fine in most applications, but in two applications open at the same time the left and right buttons on the touchpad were not recognized.  The pad area was, however, as was the touchscreen.  Hmmm...

@macboat - good news for me about the 7mm HDD versus the 5mm limitation!  Thank you again.  Do you yet know about the 64GB limitation on the SD Card Reader?  Not that I will probably care either way... 64GB is plenty for me.

Thank you again to all!  I will keep monitoring your progress, but it seems that macboat has gone as far as anyone is going to go in clearing up the Best Buy i5 RAM question.

HP Recommended

macboat did a great job bring this to light.  The limitation on the up grade of ram is on all hp split x 2 13-gxxxxxx models,  hp calls it an ultrabook and the ram is stuck with 4gb (not best buys fault at all) it is on hp.  After talking to support they told me I should have gone with a 13-m100 to customise it.  the cheaper beginning price is so people can customise it.  I am not happy with Hp for boxing and selling a product I can't upgrade.  Also as macboat found out the only 5mm hdd for the optional hard drive bay in the keyboard section is made with a sff8487 connector that is found on one hdd in the world and as he said its as i never existed because no one has it for sale.  boo hp.  if anyone from hp reads this post please find the wd5000mpck 500gb 5400rpm hdd for me so i can  at least have the satisfaction of upgrading the storage capacity on my hp split x2 13-g110dx. thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

Not everyone must be aware that companies like Wost Buy contract with companies like HP to sell a specific model at a price point.  The model would be unique to that company (Worst Buy) and normally not available to any other outlet for sale.  I'm guessing that is what you all are experiencing with this model you are talking about.  Point the finger at the proper party (Worst Buy) vs HP.  HP built it, but Worst Buy specified what HP built to meet the price point.  Compromises.

the fully customizable model direct from HP is the one I bought, and you CAN but hard drives up to 9.5MM thick in it (as i have done with a 750 GB 7200 RPM WD Black) with the HDD install kit ($50).  since i orderd mine with 8GB and the Core i5 i haven't opened the tablet part, only the keyboard base.

Kevin (and no i don't work for HP)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.