Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ProBook 6550b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Good People,

I'm hoping I havent jump the gun but I've ordered a CPU upgrade My Probook 6550b that is currently running

1st gen core i5 450m

Ihave this comming:

Brand: Intel

Clock Speed: 2.66GHz

Processor Type: Core i7 1st Gen. Bus Speed: 2.5 GT/s DMI

MPN: CP80617003981AH L2 Cache: 512KB

Number of Cores: 2 L3 Cache: 4MB

Socket Type: Socket G1 / rPGA988A 

So my question is think it'll work?
Thanks
  Paul
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is an i7-620M and you are in luck. It is one of the compatible processors listed in the Service Manual:

Service Manual

It should work, in other words. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It is an i7-620M and you are in luck. It is one of the compatible processors listed in the Service Manual:

Service Manual

It should work, in other words. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Worked just fine : )

HP Recommended

I did a side buy side compare on intels website and there isn't much at all different between the 450 m  and 620.  My system doesn't seem faster so much as does stable.  I like upgrades. I wonder what else is out there I could try in this slot?  perhaps a 4 core? humm . . . I'll probably start a fire in the living room.  Thanks

HP Recommended

Forget the processor. Get a solid state drive if you want a noticeable performance upgrade. 

HP Recommended
Already have a 1 TB SanDisk X 400 SSD 8megs RAM
And yes installed the i7. The i7 really didn't improve on benchmark however, it has given much more stability to the platform. I think I'm done. 😉
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.