Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Service has changed fun & sensor still the same problem. I'm ready to send it back to my dealer.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. The fan is noisy and it is driving me crazy. 

Done so far:

-HP onsite support changed the fan with no result.

Any suggestions what to do next?

PS. Unfortunately we have a company policy to use this laptop. If I wish to change the laptop model I need to maintain and update it by myself. It will be my next step, but before that I am trying to give this junk yet another change.

HP Recommended

Wow, it is now July 2014 and I see that my recenlty observed fan issue, CPU usage going up erratically to as high at 90% and erratic fan speed going up or down with this high pitch noise is still a problem.

My company buys HP Folio 9470m now to replace our 3 year old laptops. Mine was bough last week and delivered on Friday, July 11. 

First issue I observed is the fan noise.

I have conctacted  HP customer support and was advised that I need to ship this BRAND NEW laptop for fan replacement.

Customer Service Order Number: BDXX782801
CSO Placement Date: 07/11/2014
Model Number: E1Y62UT
Model Description: HP 9470m i5-3437U 14.0 4GB/256 PC
Serial Number: CNU42391NW
Creator: AVUHCOM

I am concerned sending the laptop out as it is brand new. Is there a long term fix for this issue now?

HP Recommended

In the same boat myself. My company now distributes these laptops as the default model. I have changed the fan once without any effect. It is unclear how many have this problem because not many have reported it within the company, but my colleagues laptops make the same noise and they are irritated by it.

I am still hoping for HP to post a resolution to this problem, so I can tell the on-site HP technicians how to solve this (They don't seem to know how...).

HP Recommended

Thank you. This was driving me nuts.

I just got  my machine today and I've ordered a few others ones to an external customer and they've all had the same extremely annoying issue . It's basically impossible to use the machine with that noise really  ..

For a while I actually thought about throwing it out the window ..  🙂

Cheers Juha Jurvanen @ www.jufcorp.com

HP Recommended

What BIOS are you using when you have this issue? 

Do you still have the same noise issue with latest BIOS on HP.com?

HP Recommended

Hi,

the noise is still very much present. The technicians have replaced the fan once without much improvement. My colleague received a new laptop today of the same model, and this does not seem to have the whining noise at all. It does have a normal fan noise, which is fine and normal. If the "tinitus" sounding noise is gone, I will be a happy customer. I avoid using it with the lid open nowadays, and only use it in the dock. A lot of sound comes through the keyboard too.

Maybe it has finally been fixed in newer versions ?

Hoping to resolve this once and for all through our local service group, now I know there are models that don't whine.

HP Recommended

By the way, my bios version (which still has the whining noise) is:

68IBD Version F.48 2014-01-13

I don't see how the bios version can resolve this, other that "avoiding" switching on the fan at all or as little as possible. This won't help when I am using CPU intensive applications, which is a large part of my day.

HP Recommended

I found that doing the following proved that the keyboard is the main source of the problem for me.

On the 9470 when the fan is annoying you with its whisting noise, hold down the numbers 1 and 2 on the keyboard.In my case the noise disappeared. 

I now have a new keyboard, and this has strongly reduced the noise.

On the newer keyboard, even though the sound is less, the noise can still be heard slightly. If you hit some other key or keys you will notice that the sound is gone completely. 

Of course there is still a plain fan noise, but this is well within range what I call normal and similar to my macbook air.

HP Recommended

I have 9470m Elitebook folio laptop and this is what worked for me.

Thought I share.

I had a laptop fan spinning non-stop from the time it’s powered on until powered down.

Troubleshooting done:

Opened up the laptop and used compressed air dust to blow the fan, HDD, memory, keyboard

Updated BIOS

Updated Hardware drivers

Uninstalled potential programs known to spike CPU usage

Changed and created power management options

Unchecked/Checked Fan always on in AC in the BIOS

The list goes on and was ready to call HP Support but I noticed that I have forgotten to try something. That something was to unplug the fan cable while the laptop is powered off, power the laptop on and plug in the cable again and it seems to have stopped. Shutdown and rebooted several times and fan still working at its normal speed.

Just something to try first if you come across this matter

9470fan.JPG

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.