Re: Hard disk Short DST test failed (442 Views)
Student
DaveAtFraud
Message 21 of 25 (442 Views)

Re: Hard disk Short DST test failed

I'm hoping this is a good place to post this.  My wife's Pavilion G7-2246nr recently reported a hard drive error.  I ran the built-in diagnostics and downloaded and ran the extended EFI diagnostics which both reported a disk error: Q4JC43-6AE71B-MFPX0K-60QB03.  I was unable to find any additional information regarding this error but Windows still booted with no complaints so I hopefully concluded that the disk had developed a bad block but was otherwise OK.

Since I couldn't get any useful information back from the diagnostics I had tried so far I booted the system to a copy Linux I had available on an external hard disk and ran "badblocks -nvv" (use a non-destructive write test and be very verbose) on the laptop's hard drive.  badblocks reported no errors and running the internal diagnostics now also shows no errors.

Was my guess correct (bad sector) or are we looking at a deeper problem that will eventually resurface?  The laptop is out of warranty and I just want to know whether I would do better cutting my losses and installing a new hard drive now or I can let it go for a while.

Thanks,

Dave

Student
pmrlcomm
Message 22 of 25 (297 Views)

I have 2 Probook 4540s laptops. A week ago my HDD failed. I purchased replacement HDD and now it has failed as well. Neither drive is detected by the laptop. Anyone have any ideas on something else that could be wrong? Thanks!

Honor Student
ArmProg
Message 23 of 25 (226 Views)

Help, Please!

HP Pavilion 15

Win8

Hard disk short DST failed when I did the F1 start up tests.Failure Id: u4v8hv-6s072e-mfpwxg-60u803

Student
Kevin618
Message 24 of 25 (191 Views)

Hi Im inquiring about the my hpG42. I received the same error message when I ran the hdd test. Everytime I turn on my computer I get "bootmgr missing". I tried to follow the directions for this link (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01973791&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en)
However I still could not solve the issue. I bought a new replacement hdd. I just need to know the steps to format the new hdd I guess? Please help. Thanks.
Student
pebbles18
Message 25 of 25 (3 Views)

Hello there so I was on my laptop one day and it was running perfectly fine then it just stop loading windows 8.1 I saw in other forums that you can replace the drive yourself if you are out of warranty. Please help
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation