Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Will this fix work on my compaq cq 57 laptop.

Im also getting the Hard disk short dst failed.

HP Recommended

If you're referring to my suggestion of running badblocks from a Linux external drive... your mileage may vary.  I've had the issue occur twice so replacing my wife's hard disk is a real possibility.  On the other hand, it bought us about another year of usage and the system has been stable since the last badblocks run.  Also, setting up Linux on an external drive is fairly easy and free.  It just takes time.

Cheers,

Dave

HP Recommended

Hello,

I've found this post very helpful in dealing with my failed HD. I've followed the steps and the system is currently running the repair disk errors.....since 12pm Firday!! It did take a while for the rescue CD to load and get to the command prompt to type in "repair" but I've never had a system run this long without being locked up. I say that because I am still able to move the mouse around the screen.

I'd hate to click cancel, if its actually working.

Thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hello

I have window 7 pavlian my DST test failed and I don't have reboot cd , i upload file in external drive and it is asking for CD can i still do with external drive or any other solution for it? let  me know.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have similar problem, when I run Disk Self Test it is failed. I try run chkdsk c: /r, but the result is 0 errors. Can I try another test?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @Lovely_Toxic ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I needed to edit your post and remove the Serial Number. From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

@Monsterboy wrote:

Hi,

I have similar problem, when I run Disk Self Test it is failed. I try run chkdsk c: /r, but the result is 0 errors. Can I try another test?

Thanks

chkdsk only checks the disk for file system level consistency.  That is, do directory entries point to files, do the pointers and such that stictch allocation units together to make files make sense, etc.  With /r it will attempt to recover data but only from the file system.  It does nothing to check the physical records unless one of the pieces mentioned above happens to be faulty.  Likewise, it doesn't check the non-filesystem sections of the disk like the partition table, the master boot record, and with UEFI, the UEFI pieces.  You need a utility that actually physically accesses ALL of the disk to determine if you're getting physical errors.  I cheat and use a Linux utility called badblocks but there are others from places like Symantec.

Cheers,

Dave

HP Recommended

Please refer to this post: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Hard-disk-Short-DST-test-failed/m-p/4719918#M155331

"***_CAREFUL NOW - THIS RESULT MAY HAVE SOME BELIEVING THEIR HD IS BAD_***

***** D O N'T__B U Y__A N O T H E R__U N T I L__Y O U__T E S T__Y O U R 'S *****"

HP Recommended

@Steve - You can try running a full disk diagnostic test from an external drive of some sort.  I've had good luck with a flavor of Linux on an external hard druive and using the badblocks utility.  Another option is there are several testdisk live CDs (e.g., bootable from your DVD drive at http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Livecd).  The first time I ran into a problem with the hard drive on my wife's laptop I used testdisk to first attempt to fix it and then, when that didn't work, copy her files to an external drive.  I ran badblocks on the drive and that seemed to have at least temporarily fixed the problem but had to re-install because the drive error had screwed up the partition table. YMMV.

FWIW, We just went through the third session of running bad blocks on her hard drive because the disks are pieces of S***.  This at least got us a year or more of use from the disk.  Third times the charm so this time I'll get a replacement.

Cheers,

Dave

HP Recommended
Greetrings, Thanks for the response 'DaveAtFraud', BUT ANYTHING i try to boot - never displays on the screen. i can get the notebook to direct booting to the CD drive - starts reading and goes into la la land... never displays anything. This happens with every type of boot or bootable rescue CD I've tried. It's like a dual problem exists, the HD through diagnostics does indicate the DST problem. That's all I can determine. no issue with graphics, screen shows up. Everything all well during the bios boot on the display screen. THE ONLY THING I'VE EVER SAW WAS DURING A WINDOWS V8.1 DVD BOOT, THE 4 X WINDOWS LOGO APPEARED FOR ABOUT 5 SECS IN THE CENTER OF THE SCREEN - ENDED UP IN NO_WHERE_LAND. i KNOW THE SCREEN IS ACTIVE. THE ONLY THING I HAVEN'T TRIED YET WAS BOOTING FROM A FLASH DRIVE - BUT WHY WOULD THAT BE ANY DIFFERENT SINCE I KNOW THE INTERNAL CD IS READING + I CAN MINIPULATE THE NOTEBOOK TO BOOT A DIAGONIST EFI FILE. I haven't tried DSL/Knoppix or any type of linux boot yet. Thanks, Respectfully, STeve
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.