Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Erico,

Checking further, the memory used in the 715us is 144 pin SODIMM PC133 RAM.  The largest modules I can find are 512 MB for around $80.  Pell Technology is the only one found that mentions a 1 GB module.  I'll find out for sure tomorrow.  I don't know if I want to take a chance even on 512 MB modules since HP/Compaq states that 2x256 MB modules are the maximum and they sell for about $18 each, which I already have installed in my unit.

HP Pavilion tx2120us running Win7 Ultimate
System Admin and Analyst
HP Recommended

Hi,

@wand wrote:

Thanks Erico,

The only one on the first page that had 1 GB of memory was Pell Technology.  This is supposedly a 1 GB single module that was made for the 715us.  I can find no other reference from anyone, and certainly not Compaq or HP that says a 715 can use more than 512 MB.  I wonder what gives.  I will call Pell tomorrow and find out for sure.  A 1 Gb module would in fact be a 128 MB module which was available from Compaq.  I wonder if this is a misprint?  Has anyone had any dealings with Pell Technology?

I have never heard of Pell technology.  The trick is just to only purchase guaranteed compatible RAM. That way you can't lose. If it doesn't work then the company is legally bound to accept the return of non operable RAM. Many people install more than what HP states as Maximum memory. That is just the max amount of RAM that HP guarantees will work. 
Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Enrico I posted the question below in November but didn't get any response. As you seem  be very knowledgeable as regards HP memory I wondered if you had any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

I have a nw9440 mobile workstation.  I would very much like to install and use 8GB ram as I use it for heavy 64bit graphics applications.  The HP laptop feature glossary FAQ site says -

"Most HP and Compaq laptops are expandable to 8GB RAM. With a greater amount of RAM, you can run more applications simultaneously and run them faster. Plus, you’ll enjoy increased performance for tasks like digital video editing, downloading music2 and gaming."

URL http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hho/cache/377186-0-0-225-121.html

There are two slots taking 200 pin PC2-5300 SODIMM 667MHz, currently holding 4GB (2x2).  I want to put in 2 x 4GB of these -

URL   http://www.memoryupgrade.pro/4gb-1x-4gb-pc2-5300-ddr2-667mhz-small-outline-dimm-upgrade.html

Given the spec I assume they'll fit fine.  The question is will the HP nw9440 BIOS support over 4GB?  I realize that the new memory wouldn't be covered under HP warranty (mine has nearly expired anyway) but  given that this was HP's top spec laptop when I bought it I'd assume it would be OK, particularly in light of the HP statement above.  I'd really like this confirmed before splashing out on the RAM.

Anyone at HP have an answer?

Many thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately I have bad news for you. Your mobile workstation uses the Intel mobile 945PM chipset and it is what limits the supported RAM to 4GB. That is why when you search to locate guaranteed compatible 4GB modules for your mobile workstation all the modules you find only 2GB and smaller.

Yes.  those memory modules will physically fit, but the chances that they will be recognized by the BIOS and work are slim.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Yeah, I sort of that would be the case.  Wish I'd known that when I bought it!

The other option for me would be to upgrade the graphics card, but going by this thread

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1404161&admit=10944...

it sounds like I'm out of luck there too . . .

thanks for your reply anyway.

HP Recommended

Erico

I called Pell Technology this morning and they said the advertised 512 MB and 1 GB modules did not work in the Compaq Presario 715us.  Aw, shucks!  When generating their website pages it just listed parts using normal specs (which I suspect was 166 MHz 144 pin SODIMMs) and some parts like this exist but not for this computer.  He said that they were in the process of going through and cleaning up the specific parts for specific machines when they find these errors.

It is interesting that they have a 1 GB part.  It is the only 144 pin 1 GB part I've seen anywhere on the Internet.

I received my "mock SSD" solution from UPS today.  I'll be letting everyone know how it goes.

HP Pavilion tx2120us running Win7 Ultimate
System Admin and Analyst
HP Recommended

You can download and use CPU-z to find out what the SPD settings are on your installed memory modules. The SPD settings are the DIMM voltage and the primary memory timings. If you can find a memory module with the same SPD there is a chance that it will work in your laptop, but there is no guarantee that it will work.

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Hi

I have one query to add and answer needed.

I have purchased a HP Pavilion 2164TX with Core i7-720 processor, 4GB RAM, 500Gig HDD, 1GB Graphic Card.

However, the pre-installed OS is Windows 7 32-bit. I am a little bit disappointed with the option of the OS being a 32-bit Windows. It doesn't utilize the Hardware capabilities of the system. Only 3GB of RAM is usable.

Why did HP not pre-load a 64-bit OS to utilize the Hardware's capabilities?

Now, if I need to install a 64-bit Window 7, what is the process of upgradation?? Do I need to buy a new OS from Microsoft or is there any method of re-installing in the same pre-loaded software that came with the Laptop??

I cannot find a satisfactory answer anywhere.

Thanks & regards,

phani kumar

HP Recommended

This was supposed to be a Operating & Software thread question & in the Laptop Upgrade FAQ.

Please excuse for the cross post.

phani

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thanks for you're awesome guide. I have an issue with memory that I was hoping you could solve for me.

I purchased a Compaq CQ60-302AU with a 303c motherboard. The product spec sheet specifies that the laptop can handle Dual channel memory. However I am not getting dual channel.

When clicking on computer properties it states 4gb of memory but after using several memory analyzer programs they all say I only have 2gb physical memory and a maximum page load of 4GB.

After calling and speaking with tech support I have been told that Vista only supports 3gb memory which I think is not correct.

If I have 2x 2gb memory modules in dual channel arrangement with a dual channel capable laptop. Why can I not get full access to my 4gb of installed ram.

I think this was false advertising on HP's part as I have noticed there are other people out there with the same model laptop that are having this issue.

This problem has been driving me nuts for such a long time and any insight or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Heaps!

EDIT: after reading a few more pages in this thread I can see you say that 23 bit operating systems can only handle 3.25 gb of ram. Which makes me wonder why the store I purchased from ever attempted a 4gb dual channel set up. Ive have noticed in your guide you say that AMD chipsets have an exception and can have a 2gb and 1gb chip arrangement.

Now I know that 3gb ram is max possible in my laptop could you please let me know which ram I would need to purchase and also if its possible to upgrade my cpu I think it could handle

AMDTurion™ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-86 (2.4 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache)

but Im not sure.. Also if the CPU is soldered to the motherboard is it possible for a technician to remove it and add the new cpu I purchase?

Thanks heaps

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.